back to article Chemical-dipped TRANSPARENT BRAINS bare all for science

A team of neuroboffins at Stanford University have a developed a chemical process that can render grey matter transparent, a trick they say will fundamentally change our scientific understanding of the brain. "This feat of chemical engineering promises to transform the way we study the brain's anatomy and how disease changes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pookietoo

Rather like the lost wax process really. Is this significantly better than MRI (apart from the bit where you remove the brain and dissolve it, obviously)I?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmmmmm this reminds of sci-fi horror flicks

Imagine being the person who's exposed brain gets dissolved while they are alive......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1. Yet Another Commentard

Re: Hmmmmm this reminds of sci-fi horror flicks

Many moons ago during my degree we used to remove rat brains to study the neurochemisty of them. You need to be quite quick to do it, stun the rat (a desk being the best way), open skull, pop brain out and into little tank full of lovely chemicals to keep the thing going for a bit. You can then see what's being released (at least from the surface)..

During one session I recall thinking about this; if the brain in the pot is still doing neurochemistry, then is the now deceased rat still thinking in some way? If so, what's it thinking? "Blimey it's dark" or "that desk was moving at one hell of a rate" or what?

Which led me on to more thoughts, if a person is beheaded, for how long after the event would they still be aware of the world? I found a paper about a scientist during the French Revolution who agreed with a man about to be guillotined that he would speak to him after the execution, and if the condemned could blink in response it would be jolly helpful. IIRC the severed head blinked in response to three questions before stopping.

This has nothing to do with the article, just made me remember it so I thought I'd share.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Happy

I found a paper about a scientist during the French Revolution who agreed with a man about to be guillotined that he would speak to him after the execution....

Last time the whole "what happens when your head's chopped off" thing came up, I had a snoop around and came up with this.

I suspect it's the second example you're thinking of (which is well documented elsewhere, so I didn't bother going into detail) and possibly mixing the two on the dates.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. BlueGreen

re. guillotining, here's an experiment with some detail, SFW but really not nice, including disturbing piccy of the event itself.

<http://www.executedtoday.com/2008/06/28/1905-henri-languille-a-man-of-science/>

Interesting but I repeat, not nice.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Joke

A man wearing nothing but clingfilm walked into a psychiatrist's office.

The psychiatrist said "I can clearly see you're nuts".

3. ian 22

May I be the first to say....

Hmmmm, brains!

1. MrT

Food for thought...

Clearly this is the lo-calorie option for zombies on a diet, (undead cheerleaders maybe?)...

2. Crisp

Re: brains!

Brains? Brains!

4. Originone
    Coat

Is anyone thinking clearly about the implications of this?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Martin Budden Silver badge
    1. Adam 1

I don't see what they did there.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

NICEbergs ...... in Networking Intelligence Community Enterprises

In other words, modern neuroscience is rapidly becoming a Big Data problem. Who'da thunk it?

Actually, that is just the thin edge of the wedge in other worlds and postmodern neuroscience, whenever you realise that any problems you encounter are as a result of BaseMetaData misunderestimations/miscalculations/misunderstandings‽

And the interrobang [‽] because one needs to accept that observation as being universally true at all levels, in every case considered and discovered or uncovered and exposed, in order to be able to resolve phantom difficulties and deliver new answers as timely solutions and stable virile foundations upon which to build future virtual team terrain systems/digitally dependent interindependent infrastructures/XSSXXXXoskeletons, which one can fully expect to be ably enabled to change and evolve at will, as and when needed to maintain and retain and sustain Brain Control and SHAPE Integrity.

And yes, before you ask and/or a'ponder and a'wonder, that is more definitely a Sublime Sticky Sweet AIMODified Circular Doughnut than DODgy Pentagram Bagel Confection ….. and here actively testing SMARTR Systems for Live Operational Virtual Environment Deployment and Status Quo Engagement with Tier 1 Networks InterNetworking JOINT Applications….. NINJApps with Joint Operations Internetworking Novel Technologies/NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive Processes in AI Research and Development Fields for Global Communication Head Quarters Control.

And I Kid U Not, Tonto.

And here be a Spooky Parallel to Dimension into the Titanic Equation of Colossal Consequence …… http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/johnny-depp-tonto-trailer/ …… and Man, are you in for a Fabulous Treat and Fantastic Feast with Fabless Tricks Galore, IMPertinently Guaranteed Perfectly FailSafe.

Great Adobe ads too on that trailer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NICEbergs ...... in Networking Intelligence Community Enterprises

I would vote amanfromMars 1 be the first human candidate for this, if only he were human and not someone's beta AI that hasn't had an upgrade in the past few years. Maybe if he had a transparent brain we could see what the hell he's trying to say!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Networking Intelligence Community Enterprises ...... for Titanic HQ IT Work, Rest and Play Spaces

I would vote amanfromMars 1 be the first human candidate for this, if only he were human and not someone's beta AI that hasn't had an upgrade in the past few years. Maybe if he had a transparent brain we could see what the hell he's trying to say! ... DougS Posted Thursday 11th April 2013 05:31 GMT

Just imagine IT to be so and human for any and all problems and/or doubts identified to be easily solved and resolved with a simple reimagining.

That would suggest that the upgrade is needed at your end of the mail chain, DougS, although it has to be said that some information shared in the plain pretext is particular and peculiar and needed to be known by only a few with the requisite ability to use IT wisely and therefore it may be ..... well, more challenging to understand if one does not have prior nuggets/gems of info and/or intel.

Pay attention or miss the leading pioneering flights is the plainly clear and NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive message there.

Are humans not just like simply complex bio-mechanical virtual machines to be smarter programmed with SMARTR ProgramMING Systems ..... Mega Intelligent Networking GIG Operating Systems ........ Globalised Intelligence Grids which create Realities on the Ground for the Mind and the Mined to Play Great Games with a Global Operating Device.

Or is that something which challenges humans and now confronts them and would engage with them in Edutainment and AI for Greater Great Game Play and Beta Future Building?

And that direct question, in the first instance, to UKGBNI Cyber Central Command and Control*, which be where/who/what exactly, for there is a great deal more to be revealed which is guaranteed to be most useful and revolutionary and one wouldn't want institutional ignorance in emerging super active novel matters being responsible and accountable for it being disruptive and destructive to them and that and those sat at the top and in chaotic control of maddening powers.

* Civilian or Military? Who thinks to Remotely Control Universal Power for Blighty's Global Interests and, by all media accounts, be Presently Currently in Dire Straits Need of Considerably Better Beta Proprietary Intellectual Property Seeds and Feeds ............ Sweet Sticky Impeccable Source?

A simple email address will do, thank you, by Registered post.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Networking Intelligence Community Enterprises for Titanic HQ IT Work, Rest and Play Spaces

Or does IT wanna play you at MMOWGLI ....... http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130404-invisible-weapons-go-into-battle...... with Who Dares Care Win Wins and Takes All Shares Stakes, for that is the Inevitable Prize and Ultimate Absolute Goal/AIMission‽

7. Captain DaFt
    Coat

Interesting progression there.

First mouse brains were used, the zebrafish brains, then human brains.

Taking the clue from the first two that they were moving toward smaller, simpler brains, my question is; were the human brains used those of politicians, or middle management?

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Astonishing

Turning a brain clear is pretty impressive.

I suspect it gets really clever when you add stains which are specific to various chemicals and see where they are concentrated.

This is just the Start of the Art.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Astonishing

One day (maybe even in my lifetime) they'll be able to do it in vivo and in real time. That will be amazing to see.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chickens?

I thought this was about brains? So why is there a picture of a chicken in a pot of water?

Seriously though, this is brilliant - and is why I love science so much. Well done neuroboffins@Stanford.Uni. More of this stuff please.

10. Graham Marsden

Reminds me...

... of those old anti-drugs messages:

This is your brain.

This is your brain on Clarity...!

11. Francis Boyle Silver badge
    Coat

Scientists made my brain invisible

Now I've lost my mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like