back to article Quantum: No! Object storage CANNOT exchange data with tape!

Quantum introduced object storage to its StorNext data virtualisation product last week, saying data could be automatically moved between primary disk, object storage and tape. But actually there is effectively a wall between tape and object storage. StorNext virtualises the location of data in primary disk arrays, tape …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ragequit
    Paris Hilton

I might be rusty...

But is this not hierarchical storage by another name? Of course back in the day it was optical jukeboxes that seemed to be the flavor of the month for long term storage. To be honest this object storage stuff is new to me but it seems like it might be out of a job if memristor based memory delivers on it's promises. Or perhaps it's complimentary since it seems to be more of storage technique than a new medium.

At any rate I've never been exactly confident about long term tape storage. Seems converting archives to new tape technologies is a time consuming and expensive endeavor as well. /Shrug. Guess it all depends on the volume of data and if you need to ensure data integrity (as in read only WORM media).

1. CaptJ

Re: I might be rusty...

The architecture that Quantum have used is to introduce the Lattus (Amplidata) object store as what used to be termed a "Storage disk". Storage disk is effectively a tape copy on disk. Storage disk is not a tier as such.

The Object store is effectively a copy of what is on tape. This means that only one tape copy need be written.

In our scenario at least, the workflow never requires object storage to tape migration. The great benefit that is introduced is that data can be accessed directly from the object store, or moved to the disk WIP very quickly.

It also avoids wasting expensive fast hard disk space and reduces the number of tape copies to one.

Of course others needs may be different.

2. BruceBacka

But there is a solution...

Our company (NTP Software) has been working with Quantum to address this. Next quarter we will have a product called Object Store and Cloud Connector (NTP Software OSCC) that will be able to move to and from Quantum Object, CIFS, NFS, and LTFS Tape.

Feel free to contact Info@NTPSoftware.com for more info.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

All I can say is, NEVER buy a product based on promises of what it'll do in the future. I've seen too many cases in the past where some feature simply didn't materialize; if Quantum's software already does what you need, then you won't be disappointed if promised features never materialize.

And, best of luck BruceBacka @ NTPSoftware. Sounds pretty nice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like