Re: Oh come off it..
Actually I think it probably has to happen quite a few times to be fatal. For starters, your company has an RCD on the office sockets, right?
If the live wire shorts to the desk or earth, there'll be a flash and a bang, maybe even enough smoke to trip your fire alarm, people will be frightened and then annoyed because the power went off (mind you in a BYOD office they wouldn't have lost any work). But it's not going to start a fire. You need a resistance between 10 and 10k ohms to generate the heat without blowing the fuse, and a frayed cable will almost never have that range of resistance, and if it did, the frayed strand causing the partial short would vaporise.
If the live wire touches a human, he'll get a nasty shock and the RCD will trip. There's a small chance it could upset his heartbeat, but for it to actually be fatal he'd have to have an existing heart condition.
I've had enough mains shocks to know that they bloody well hurt, especially if there's no RCD, but they aren't as dangerous as crossing the road half the time. At least so long as the current doesn't go across your chest.
A friend of mine was once servicing an 11kV busbar at some scottish mansion with its own substation, when the janitor of the place, wondering why the power was out, ignored the signs, unlocked the substation and threw the switch. He is still alive despite having each hand touching a different 11kV phase.
Anyway my point is that people are scared of electricity because they can't see it.
Reminds me of those Health and Safety posters about electrocution - If you see someone who's been electrocuted, don't touch them, find a wooden broom handle and poke them with it, otherwise the electricity will get you too!!
Oh and also, that laptop PSU with the frayed cable was a company PSU you say? Must've been PAT tested then? Fat lot of good that did. And who'd be responsible if it DID electrocute someone? You would.
Maybe with BYOD, the idiot who wrapped it like that would be responsible instead.