back to article Chinese search giant Baidu launches free AV

Chinese search giant Baidu has been quietly testing the waters in the security space, with the launch of a free English language AV product for Windows. Baidu Antivirus 2013 features traditional signature-based AV and cloud-based threat protection and tries to optimise PC performance along the way. Little other information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

Poacher turned Gamekeeper perhaps?

1. Steve the Cynic

"Poacher turned Gamekeeper perhaps?"

A fair few commentators here would probably suggest that "poacher turned poacher" is more likely to be accurate...

2. frank ly

Not long to go ...

I'm waiting for jake's thoughts on Chinese AV products and what their real purpose is.

3. El Presidente
    FAIL

Chinese Anti Vilus ?

No thanks.

1. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Re: Chinese Anti Vilus ?

"permanent free, includes English language support"

Oh, the irony.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Chinese AV?

Oh sure.

What a top idea.

5. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

Cynic, me?

Or Baidu want to spread malware round the world so Chinese State government can get more information etc etc.

6. Uffish

Blah, blah, blah...

If it works well why not , Nothing new in wondering what else comes with whatever program you buy or download.

7. spegru
    Devil

Do you really want Chinese Government spyware on your PC?

Nope I didnt think so...

Such a small step from there to blocking disapproved words from web searches like they do over there

1. Uffish

@spegru

I downloaded one of the Chinese denial of service progs once, just to have a look, so I'll answer 'Maybe' to your question.

More particularly though, I don't see much difference between buying megatons of physical stuff from China and buying programs from China. Get a bit of coherence in your ideas.

8. Electric Panda
    Big Brother

People shouldn't trust this. I guarantee you it will conveniently overlook the state-sponsored Chinese malware or likely even includes it.

Mind you, don't Western solutions do the same?

1. Psyx
      Stop

Apply a little critical thinking.

So you don't think that every other AV company in the world is thinking that same thing and is going to go through it with a fine-tooth comb for the kudos of finding something?

By very definition, putting viral-ware into this would be so obvious that it'd be utterly stupid to do so.

9. Dragon Leaves
    Thumb Up

live in China. .. never got a virus with 360 in 3 year's time... kudos to comodo, same. norton fails every few months. .. have 4 puters

10. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Qihoo 360 IS malware; and rightly recognised as such by many western AV/malware programs.

IF you can manage to remove it from a system and then do a scan with a REPUTABLE scanner, you will find dozens - if not HUNDREDS of infections.

(Been there - done that).

11. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

Irony - It's What The Hip Kids Are Doing!

I think I hurt myself laughing.

Chinese AV?!

You just can't beat an oxymoron AND a joke for the price of one!

12. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    WTF?

Why all the cynicism?

Do I get the impression that you'd all rather trust a Russian company (that is on record as supporting Putin's efforts at internet censorship) than a Nasdaq-listed public company that is at least reasonably open about its corporate governance and ethics?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like