back to article Fanbois rejoice: iPhone 5, iPad Mini finally jailbroken

After a long wait – almost six months – a jailbreak method for iOS 6 is finally available, allowing the iPhone 5, the iPad Mini, and the fifth-generation iPod Touch to join the jailbreak party for the first time. The jailbreak tool is the work of a hacking team calling itself Evad3rs, which announced the release on Monday via …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

San Fransico's Finest.

"...gave Americans the right...expired..."

Note to people in other countries: If you wonder why someone would write a "right" has expired, due notice it is written by someone in San Fran. Cali. These people are still breeding out the effect of LSD from 50 years ago, and no know better. Just wave and move on.

As far as the Jailbreak, this is undoubtedly good news for iToy users. Hopefully they don't patch it.

1. asdf
      WTF?

Re: San Fransico's Finest.

The Bay area has sure given the world a hell of lot more in the last 50 years than Mississippi and Alabama combined. It probably has a higher GDP as well.

2. asdf
      Trollface

Re: San Fransico's Finest.

Also in general if you are going to insult a place you might want to spell the name correctly, or else you end up looking like another product of the 3rd world quality education system in Mississippi and Alabama.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At last

'Jail break your iDevice, join Android users and experience FREEDOM!'

Hmm, does that include malware?

1. Parax
        Facepalm

does that include malware?

If you want.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: does that include malware?

It does include those really useful utilities like 'WiFi Analyser' which is obviously evil.

2. GotThumbs
          Boffin

Re: does that include malware?

More important....It keeps 30% out of Apples pocket and in the developers. That's what really stings Apples seeds.

When visiting or downloading anything from the WWW....buyer beware. Apple is not 100% secure and only a fool would expect someone else to protect their interests. Unforgettably Apple knows there are lots of fools in the world.

Best wishes,

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: At last

Only if you are stupid enough to believe the vastly twisted reality that Android anti-virus snakeoil vendors want you to believe.

In the real world, if you only shop with Google Play store, you have nothing to fear...

1. Spearchucker Jones
          Go

CarrierIQ has shown us that that's not entirely accurate.

2. Silverburn

In the real world, if you only shop with Google Play store, you have nothing to fear...

Err...not quite.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=13891

In the real world better security is better than none, but nothing is 100% secure.

3. A J Stiles

For all anyone knows, there could be malware in Evasi0n itself.

I didn't see any Source Code offered for download; just a precompiled binary that could have had anything in it. As far as security-related software goes, this is a dealbreaker.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

So does that mean they can, uh...

run Android now?

1. Quxy
      Pint

Re: Android

As the owner of both an iPad Mini and a Nexus 7, I'll drink to that!

2. I am the Walrus
      Happy

Re: So does that mean they can, uh...

You've been able to boot to Android on a 3G for years (omniboot IIRC). I did it on mine when I had one, wasn't much more than a proof of concept as you couldn't use most of the features but it was fun showing arrogant Android lovers that I was in fact, also running Android.

3. Crisp

Re: Running Android

Finally! Something useful I can do with my iPad!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad3 ... works

Clean as a whistle! No issues so far.

1. Stuart Elliott
      Thumb Up

Re: iPad3 ... works

Only issue reported so far, other than the Cydia servers getting DDOS'd by everyone who's just JB'd their phone, wanting to get their favourite hack-de-jour, is the weather app isn't working, though they're aware of it, and were working on it they said.

4. DM2012

AppleTV 3?

I wonder how long before it can be broken...

1. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: AppleTV 3?

It already is broken. The 3rd gen GUI is a step backwards IMO.

oh wait, you mean jailbroken...

5. Eddy Ito
    Pint

Lovely

I do so enjoy these ch0wn to own stories. It's like the people who paid for the product finally get to take possession of it. Pints all 'round.

6. Dana W
    Thumb Up

Not jail breaking my phone, but my iPad mini? Absoulutely. I want my emulators!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ACCA DACCA

There was a friend of mine on murder

And the judge's gavel fell,

Jury found him guilty,

Gave him sixteen years in hell.

He said "I ain't spending my life here,

I ain't living alone,

Ain't breaking no rocks on the chain gang,

I'm breakin' out and headin' home.

Gonna make a Jailbreak.................

1. frank ly

The fanbois threw a party at the Apple jail .........

evasi0n started loading, they began to wail .....

(It's early in the morning. I could work on it, or somebody else could- a community composition?)

2. Elmer Phud

Re: ACCA DACCA

"Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak,

Somewhere in this town,"

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Tom 7

Whoopie

I can now spend 3 times as much to get 1/4 the performance of my current android device.

And when I take it for repair...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whoopie

Or could could spend twice as much and get performance that doesn't suck.

I have a Nexus 7, bought as an alternative to an ipad (which I have) and an ipad mini, which I was thinking about, for something more portable.

Trouble is, it runs like a dog.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nexus+7+running+very+slow&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Plus you need to give android a spare 3GB to work..

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/loqbCbKVMWE[1-25-false]

Mine was unuseable when less than 3GB, now it's just sllooooowwwww......

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. misterfusion

Best advice: wait a few days before trying the jailbreak

The onslaught of eager jailbreakers is overwhelming the Cydia app repositories, judging by the many error messages being received by people already jailbroken who enter Cydia. This means there is a significant significant danger of failed jailbreaks. Many failed or glitchy jailbreaks are being reported on sites like jailbreakqa.com. Time heals all glitchy jailbreak exploits, so you are better off trying later in the week when the crush has subsided and the evasi0n coders have had a chance to tweak away any glitches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Best advice: wait a few days before trying the jailbreak

..also good advice is to use TinyUmbrella to dump the firmware and SHSH now, before Apple stop signing it in a fit of pique.

(If you fancy jailbreaking, this is worth bearing in mind. If it's all greek to you, google for the TinyUmbrella site and read the surprisingly handy FAQ)

12. FSM

Hackers these days...

I cannot take anyone seriously who chooses l33tspeak names like "evad3rs" and "evasi0n". That means "pre-pubescent teenagers" to me.

1. AceRimmer

Re: Hackers these days...

Given how long its been around, I'd have thought that l33tspeak would be out of fashion with teenagers by now

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hackers these days...

4T lEaSt l33tspeak is a nod tow4ards non-dictionary pass-phrases for logging into things. Using it for anything publicly visible does shout 'schoolboy!', though.

cat sat on the mat

c$ts5T0nTEm^T

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

worked perfectly for me

just need to find a way to run those programs which won't when they detect JB devices

14. Scott 49
    Thumb Down

Why if the article is about anything Apple related its always got 'Fanbois' in the title. There are fanbois on both platforms so its not fair to single one OS out over another. The Register is kind of resorting to playground name calling bullying tactics.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Scott 49

Apple has fanbois. Android has fandroids. Windows has normal people. Get with the programme, man.

C.

1. frank ly

@diodesign Re: Scott 49

Windows has WIMPs.

(Scott; I'm a fandroid and not at all bothered if anyone calls me that.)

2. tirk
        Joke

@diodesign

You seem to have mistyped "paid shills" as "normal people" there.

1. dougal83
          Coat

Re: @diodesign

"paid shills" is that what we call normal working people nowadays? Office productivity seems still to be windows with the obvious exception of business's such as advertising companies. I'm not creative enough to work for an advertising company :(

1. tirk
            Facepalm

Re: @diodesign

Oh dear - SOHF much? Did you miss the "joke alert" icon? Do I really need to confess that I make my living out of Windows consultancy, and plead that I was just balancing the fanboi/droid comment??

2. Gordon Fecyk
          Windows

Paid shill? I wish.

If I had the income of a real paid shill, do you think I'd be wasting my supposedly-paid time here?

3. Eponymous Cowherd
        Meh

Well, there are a lot of people who have to use Windows, though not many would describe themselves as "fans".

Those that actually are "fans" of Windows tend to have an air of Dwayne Dibley about them.

4. Vic

> Windows has normal people

[Citation needed]

Vic.

5. Subtilior

I hate normal people ... a fanbois life is always intense.

15. Robin
    Meh

Why?

Surely half the reason for doing this has gone anyway? As far as I'm aware, the UK operators have to unlock a mobile if you ask them. I did mind recently with Three. They charge about £15, mind you.

I believe it was as a result of some kind of national complaint from France so I'd imagine it's the case elsewhere in Europe too.

So that really just leaves the reason for unlocking as installing apps that have a potentially dodgy source? Most of the apps I use regularly were free or cheap so I'm not that fussed about the walled garden or whatever.

Freedom is always good though, I guess!

1. AceRimmer

Re: Why?

Your thinking of unlocking from carrier restrictions. i.e. which SIM cards will work inyour phone.

This unlocking removes the OS level restrictions of what the user is allowed to do/install on their phone.

1. AceRimmer

A thousand apologies in advance to the commentard grammar nazis for using "your" in place of "You are"

2. spider from mars

free tethering is still a thing (although not for me, as I bought mine unlocked)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope, you're thinking of a baseband unlock for the mobile comms bits. This is about rooting the "computery bit".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is unlocking a First Amendment issue? I'm not an American, but it sounds like the government interfering in where you can take your speech?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we STILL banging on about fking shitty iPhone?

WTF? its 2013! iFad died years ago.

What, you wanna look like a luddite?

1. Philip Lewis
      FAIL

@Obviously!

Actually no you dork, I use an N9 for example. I do however have an iPad3 and it is a very good tablet. You can love something else (as is your right), but the iPad is very far from being a fad or being a fad that is passed. That comment displays what a moron you are.

Crawl back into your hole.

17. Son of Steve

Hooray. So the person who stole my first iPhone 5 can now get round the IMEI block. Thrilled.

1. Shrimpling

Don't worry, they have already sold it abroad so the IMEI block wouldn't matter.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jailbreak just to get 10% of android functionality.

Desperate that their £800 toy gets it ass whipped by a £279 nexus4

It's hard to argue with a single point here:

http://droid-den.com/editorial/why-the-iphone-is-impossible-for-me-to-use/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like