back to article WiGig crew to cut DisplayPort cables

VESA, the organisation behind DisplayPort and past monitor connection technologies, must have fallen a little out of love with wireless connectivity. Two years after entering into an alliance with WiGig, the 60GHz band high-speed WLAN standard, it this week felt the need to renew its vows. Highlighting the two institutions’ “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"Indeed, WiGig is increasingly being pitched more as a cable elimination technology than as a high-speed close-proximity WLAN."

indeed - wearable displays without trailing cables - nothing worse than motion sickness from your HMD compounded by tripping over the cable ....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How will this work in a smartphone?

Curious about the power requirements. The killer app for this seems to me to be dropping your phone down near a display and keyboard/mouse after running a "dock" app, and then it displays on the monitor and you interact with it using the keyboard/mouse.

It would need to have either another OS on it or another personality for the OS. Microsoft thinks they can train everyone to use a touchscreen OS on PCs, I'm skeptical, I think you'd need iPhones to run something pretty OS X like interface wise, along with appropriate updates to the apps to realize they're now being driven by mice. Likewise for Androids running some sort of Linux GUI that isn't GNOME 3.

I don't really see a big market for this otherwise (failing wearable displays becoming the next big thing, which I think is more than a few years away) It's not worth doing it just to get rid of the HDMI/DP cable, when you still have the power cable. And the tiny market for "people who have video on their phone and want to play it on their TV" is already being killed by the rise of smart TVs that can hook up to the Internet on their own. If you have to do that, cheaper for the TV to just use existing Wifi capability to contact the phone and stream the video off it.

This topic is closed for new posts.