back to article Google releases 'Disavow links' tool to fix SEO spam

Google has used the PubCon conference in Las Vegas to release a "Disavow Links" tool, allowing webmasters dump links into their site that are hurting search rankings. "Most people should not need to use this," said Matt Cutts, head of webspam at Google. "We build our algorithms such that in most cases we handle things just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Oninoshiko
    WTF?

why would they just not revert to the "predsavowed" behavior?

Does google plan on telling people which links they need to disavow, or are they left to just guess?

Am I the only want finding recent changes to google (like silently changeing my search terms without a way for me to say "yes I really am looking for the variable for "Present Working Directory" in UNIX, rather then "password" in my search term")?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Strange

I just typed pwd into Google, and the second result (after Philadelphia Water Department) was the Wikipedia entry for the pwd command (print working directory).

If your kilometerage* differs, you might try enclosing your search terms in quotes. Works for me.

*In deference to the El Reg SI standards preference.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google already detects which links it thinks are spam and silently ignores them (sometimes sends notifications, depending on how badly the spammer has been spamming). Their webmaster guidelines are there, quite clear on what is/isn't spam, so it's not hard to figure out what is spam and needs removing.

Seems like you don't know how to search (or just have a grudge against Google? Or both?). I did a quick search for the pwd variable and what a surprise, all the results were for that.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Google becomes self-conscious

Google knows we're talking about it, so it fixed its results.

It's like mentioning ISFDB, the Internet Science Fiction Database (written form, that is, at least for me) - Mr. Atoz will monitor what you say about ISFDB online, in case you mention any errors in the data. I recently saw this happen when I mentioned Jack Campbell, and right now, he's (Mr. Atoz, not Jack Campbell) probably feeling hurt that I'm arbitrarily calling him "Mr. Atoz" and ignoring the more sophisticated joke name that he prefers. Sir, they wouldn't understand it here. I'm not sure that I do.

3. Mr Anonymous

If G are down grading links from link farms, why are they helping the farmers clean up the fields they have sown?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. John H Woods Silver badge

If these SEO outfits were any good ...

... they wouldn't need to spam me all the time telling me how good they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If these SEO outfits were any good ...

Not true. If the firms that hire SEO were any good, they wouldn't need to pay for SEO, or as I like to refer to it as SEPoisoning.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like