back to article Privacy guardian wants one EU rulebook on ID databases

Organisations tasked with certifying systems individuals use for inputting personally identifying information should have to abide by a "common set of security requirements", an EU privacy body has said. The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) recommended that 'trust service providers', and those that issue individuals …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

So let me get this right ...

All my privacy needs to belong to a single .gov body?

Anyone see anything wrong with that?

2. cortland
    Paris Hilton

Keeping citizens' privates protected ...

And also their information.

Paris because. Just because.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What they want..

Is easier access to the data from other countries. The more this EU moloch is growing the more power does it seem to pull towards itself. And the worst part is that the population has no say in the matter what so ever.

The whole EU is a totally undemocratic body. Think about it: What exactly can you "vote" for during those eu elections? Dunno about you guys, but here in Holland all we can do is vote for a group of people of which it is already certain that they got new jobs in Europe. I always thought the eu should unite us. I often see how people in other countries (Germans or Belgians) come up with a far better and much more serious plan on what they want to do when they get elected. Or better put: they manage to promote themselves much better. Even so, it leaves me with the question: why can't I vote for them instead?

Instead we can only chose which one we'll sent to europe and no matter what you vote for they're all going (at least here in Holland). Amazing...

So all I'm seeing here is simply a few of those guys trying to make the whole system more transparent so that they can gain easier access to the data of other European countries. Could Orwell have been 100 years off by any chance? 1984 should have been 2084 ?

4. frank ly

Distributed multiple verification authorities

This story in The Independent caught my attention earlier:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/national-virtual-id-card-scheme-set-for-launch-is-there-anything-that-could-possibly-go-wrong-8196543.html

Read it and weep. I'm wondering if it's a prank article, and if El Reg will cover it.

1. frank ly
      Facepalm

Re: Distributed multiple verification authorities

Yes they have, see: STILL TRUE: Facebook and co to handle taxpayers' ID

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like