back to article Windows Store size doubles: Now 0.3% the size of Apple's

The number of apps in Windows Store - Microsoft’s online software shop - has apparently doubled in 10 days. The code bazaar, Redmond's equivalent of Apple’s wildly successful App Store, distributes software for x86 and ARM-powered Windows 8 machines. On 21 September it broke the 2,000 app barrier with 2,079 available downloads …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged
    Thumb Down

ZOMG ONLY 10000 APPS WINDOZE FAIL

plus about three billion more that you can install without the app store. fail fail fail?

Shyeah. right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ZOMG ONLY 10000 APPS WINDOZE FAIL

Hey kids, here's a simple way to visualise how well the Windows app store will do.

Go to the beach with a teaspoon. Fill the teaspoon with water. The water remaining in the ocean is Apple & Android. The capacity of the teaspoon minus what you spilled is where windows is now. What remains in the teaspoon is their peak.

Mr. Jones

2. Phoenix50
    FAIL

It's simple, stupid.

What on earth is the point of this article? The thing isn't even out yet.

Future elReg article years from now:

"Windows App Store hits 25 Trillion - STILL NOT ENOUGH TO COMPETE WITH APPLE AND GOOGLE"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quality, quality, quality...

It's all about quality, if the Windows store had a thousand useful, well made apps and the Apple store had a bazillion poorly coded fart apps the Windows store would be better...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Quality, quality, quality...

What do you mean, if?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So how many do you reacon are fart apps?

1. horse of a different colour
        Mushroom

How many are spelling apps?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, I fart into my guitar tuner, run keeper, kindle, flipboard....

4. MortisDei
    FAIL

fly in the ointment

of course you conveniently forget that:

1) Windows 8 isn't even released to the wdier public yet,

2) the Windows Store is less than 12 months old, while Apple's equivalent is... how old now? 5-6-7 years old?

3) Windows 8 supports legacy applications in desktop mode, and is fully backwards-compatible with previous versions of windows, just like every version since XP. the only Windows devices limited to the contents of the Windows Store are those running Windows RT, so it hardly matters anyway

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fly in the ointment

@MortisDei: "the Windows Store is less than 12 months old, while Apple's equivalent is... how old now? 5-6-7 years old?"

I think the whole point is that MS is 5-6-7 years behind.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely Android store is now the benchmark

As it has more apps than Apple, and it's activating more phones than Apple too..

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/05/eric-schmidt-1-3-million-android-activations-a-day-480-million-in-total/

In short, the 3 days of the iphone -prelaunch managed to just about match what Android does EVERY SINGLE DAY.

1. dogged
      Stop

Re: Surely Android store is now the benchmark

I call bullshit.

If Android shows 5 million activations per day then just this year alone it has activated better than 268x5,000,000 smartphones and tablets. That's 1,340,000,000. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Google have shifted an Android install to more than 1/5th of the planet's population this year alone?

There's 98 days of this year left. By that time, according to your figures, there's be another 490,000,000 Android activations, meaning almost 1/3rd of the planet. In this single year alone.

Android has been available since October 2008. How much saturation did it already have?

How much longer are these mad statistics going to be bandied about? Keep it up for another year at the current exponential rate of growth and the only way it would be feasible would be if we all slept on a bed made out of phones.

Madness.

(And the fanbois are just as fucking bad. Stop it, all of you).

1. jonathanb Silver badge

There are more mobile phones in the world than toilets. In many countries, including the UK, there are more phones than people. So 1.35bn activations isn't necessarily more than 1/5 of the planet's population.

2. Dave 8
        Holmes

To quote: "As of today, 1.3 million Android devices are activated daily".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Android - 675k apps

Sorry, forgot to cite...

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-celebrates-25-billion-app-downloads-25-cent-app-promotion#comment-473259

Also 25bn app downloads, and a 25c promotion to celebrate...

3. RyokuMas
      Trollface

1.3 million Android activations per day? Actually, I can believe that:

"Okay, time to fire up my new Android!" (wait three hours) "Oh no! My handset's been utterly rooted by malware, better go get another!"

6. HMB

Talking Animals

I dooo hope Windows Store get's talking animals. I don't know where I'd be without being able to pay for a talking donkey and a talking giraffe and a talking monkey, they're animated AND funny! WOOO!! What's not to love!?

*All sold separately

(One should be able to deduce sarcasm)

1. RyokuMas
      Coat

Re: Talking Animals

Better that than a feckin' paperclip!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quality not Quantity

Quality not Quantity. Nuff said.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quality not Quantity

@Frank 14: "Quality not Quantity"

How ironic - it used to be Apple customers saying that.

2. Conrad Longmore

Re: Quality not Quantity

Yes, but what is the quality like? Most applications on all platforms are complete rubbish, only a tiny handful are worth downloading. Unless of course you have a BlackBerry when about zero percent are worth downloading..

8. Big_Ted

MS need to up the number of apps if they expect people to keep their RT tablet more than a day after buying it and finding there is no desktop mode to run all their old programs.

They need more than anything for companies that create programs for windows now to produce tablet alternatives or I can see a high percentage of people taking the tablet back as not fit for purpose due to it not doing what the cheapest netbook can do....

1. Epobirs

It isn't the lack of a desktop mode, which isn't quite true BTW, that keeps old Windows software off RT devices. It is the lack of binary level compatibility. Windows RT runs on ARM chips, not x86 systems. Having a desktop mode available to third party developers would aid in porting apps but not in running any off the shelf.

9. DJO Silver badge

Let's see, MS doubled the number of available apps in 10 days, not bad, if they can maintain that increase for 3 years they will have 2,535,301,200,456,458,802,993,406,410,752,000 apps available - Take that Apple!

Of course that's a bit silly, one would expect it to slow down a bit after the first few thousand billion

10. SpitefulGOD

all very well made appa

1. hplasm
      Happy

Best qualitie-

much cheapness!

11. wteff
    FAIL

this isn't windows PHONE store

you're comparing windows store for WINDOWS 8 to the entire app store for ipad AND iphone!

windows PHONE store had 100,000 apps back in june..

come on...

1. PaulR79
      WTF?

Re: this isn't windows PHONE store

I was starting to think only I saw that blatantly obvious mistake. How can you compare the Windows 8 store, which holds apps for a DESKTOP OS, to Apple's App Store which holds apps for phone and iPad? Has the writer been taking drugs?

12. RyokuMas
    FAIL

"Utterly terrible" bit of reporting

I can see it now: the day after MS announces Win9 (or whatever they decide to call the next iteration of Windows), splashed across the Reg headlines is "Win9 - no apps yet! Meanwhile Apple/Android have feckin' zillions!"

It's like reading the Daily Mail, except swap "immigration" for "Microsoft"...

13. Tigra 07
    Joke

Incoming joke...

The number of apps in Windows Store - Microsoft’s online software shop - has apparently doubled in 10 days.

...to 4 apps. One for each Windows Phone owner =P

14. jason 7
    Meh

Divide the total number of apps in any App Store...

....by 1000 to find the true number of useful apps.

15. Epobirs

Compare to Mac Store for equivalence

How many apps are in the Mac Store so far? That is the more direct equivalent until such time as Windows tablets have a significant chunk of the market where the iPad lives. Until then the Windows 8 world will be an outgrowth of the PC software market rather than a direct competitor.

16. HippyChippy
    FAIL

WinStore crystal ball app?

I'm very tempted by a WinPhone purely because I want to bin my iPhone2 & Apple, but don't trust the 'Wild West' of Android app's or receiving timely OS updates.

Just made my first visit to the online Windows Store to check out possible replacements for the excellent StarMap Pro planetarium software for iPhone, but am rather irked that an ASTRONOMY search also returns Horoscope and Palm Reading guff too. It's a common mistake among the Plebs, but for me as a user, it's important that Microsoft can distinguish between Astronomy, and the entertainment woo woo for the gullible that is ASTROLOGY.

Peering into my crystal ball, I can see Tarot Card and Ouiji Board and 'Find a Witches' Coven Near You' app's alongside NASA's 'pic' of the day'... followed by a crash in WinStore credibility.

If you click on the SkyMap planetarium app' for more details, Microsoft suggest you might also be interested in a map of Texas, a map of London A-Z, and some map in Chinese. WTF does that have to do with Astronomy either?

What utter rubbish from such an important showcase site; back to the bloody iPhone2!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like