What happened to Odds & Sods?

This topic was created by Zaphod.Beeblebrox .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Alert

What happened to Odds & Sods?

One minute it was there in the list of categories under the masthead, and the next it was gone... I don't guess it would bother me much except that's where I go look for the latest BOFH if I've missed it on Fridays.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The site was restructured...

and as such, the BOFH is under the Data Centre Heading. My gripe is that it doesn't list all of the episodes any more.

I hope they look at it.

3. Pastafarian

and what about Verity?

Where has Ms Stob's articles been moved to?

4. SiliconSlick

Verity Stob now in Software...

And QotWs (which I was looking for) seem to be under Bootnotes.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

odds and sods must return

Please bring it back, it was always the first page i went to. Its nice to read some stupid or funny stuff.

6. Jeff Power
    FAIL

Yes, the site rearrangement is not optimal.

When I go to BOFH (after eventually finding it), it doesn't list the articles by most recent, which is important if I want to read the most recent, or realize I have read it already.

Is this some attempt to clean the site up and make it more professional, the removal of Odds & Sods? Seems to be missing the point of the site itself. I hope this isn't going to be a trend.

7. Trokair 1
    FAIL

Another vote to bring it back

I was just slightly perturbed when the Forums link took the spot of honor at the end of the link from Odds and Sods but I live with it. Removing Odds and Sods all together is far too much. It was my go-to link and now it is extinct. Bring O&S back!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All the content is still here.

We have retained all the content - and have returned Bootnotes - our original home for off-beat stories - to its former glory on the navbar.

BOFH - the data centre section template does not work for this content. We will figure out how best to display his columns.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jeff

Agreed BOFH does not fare well in the redesign - however it's really not that hard to make do until it's fixed: http://search.theregister.co.uk/?author=Simon%20Travaglia

9. Trokair 1
    IT Angle

Why?????

So why was this change needed in the first place? I feel like it has made the site worse, not batter.

10. andrew baldock
    Facepalm

epic fail...

very nearly stopped reading the reg... its just the supermarket moving all the product about on the shelfs.. if i cant find it easily i am more likely not to puchase and move stores or order online.but then i cant do that with register.. oh well time to find something else to read.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: epic fail...

Odds and Sods, that Register staple, is now just simply Bootnotes: http://www.theregister.co.uk/bootnotes/ It lives on in the section page title, but do feel free to email the bosses if you're upset by the change.

We'll still be covering odds-n-sods-grade news.

C.

11. Swiss
    WTF?

Plain speaking...

Just stop fucking about and put back Odds n Sods where it was and with the same content.

Thanks

BOFH would have had a quick lime lined hole in a dissused carpark for you by now

12. jefflowrey
    FAIL

Completely useless

I don't really give a crap about the movement of BOFH and other pages from one category into others.

But the structure of these pages has gone from helpful to complete bollox. I am a routine but not frequent visitor to The Reg and if I can't tell from looking at the page which articles I've read and which ones I haven't, and I can't even tell what the *most recent* articles are, then it's a big pile of shit that is wasting my time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BOFH template restored - now with navigation for all content

And in reverse chronological order (except for a few, posted in 2000, which are posted in chronological order).

1. Swiss

Re: BOFH template restored - now with navigation for all content

"BOFH template restored - now with navigation for all content

And in reverse chronological order (except for a few, posted in 2000, which are posted in chronological order)."

Nice touch, thanks, but where is he? No recent tales to help us mortals while away the minutes?

Has the PFY finally done him in? Has he been incarcerated in his own fire safe? Tipped down the lift shaft or simply fallen asleep at the alter of the liquid lunch?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: BOFH template restored - now with navigation for all content

Currently, BOFH is publishing once a month. He has a day job, you know!

1. SiempreTuna

You mean .. it's not his diary ..?!

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Still a PITA, but it had become a PITA in the past.

Up to and including the 2004 articles, at the beginning of each year the previous year's BOFH was rolled into a page under that year. That way, all the current year's articles and the history fitted on one page and by clicking on a historical link you got all of that year in one place. For some reason[1] this annual maintenance process stopped in 2005.

Any chance we could get that archiving process resurrected and lose the umpty-something pages? Worse still, the archived packages up to 2004 seem to be strewn around in the current listings, rather than all together at the end.

[1] The usual reason is; "The person wot used to do it left and forget to hand it over.".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: BOFH template restored - now with navigation for all content

reasonable points - and you are bang on the money about the person wot used to do it.

It is a little less PITA than it has been for some years. But we should give the channel an overhaul. It won't be this year though - got an awful lot of things on our plate.

13. Mussie (Ed)

A gentl plea to the Reg Vultures

BRING BOFH BACK OR ILL TEAR YOUR BLASTED THROATS OUT

thanks

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A gentl plea to the Reg Vultures

BOFH has not gone away and has never gone away - read the other posts in this thread - including this one.

14. Not That Andrew
    FAIL

Bring Odds 'n Sods back . It's the main reason I read El Reg

15. silent_count

I'm actually disappointed by this thread. I thought that moving BOFH to the 'Data Centre' was some kind of meta- inside joke at Reg HQ. As in, "We moved BOFH to the Data Centre. Then there was an unexplained, late night ka-blam. We arrived in the morning to discover that there is no Data Centre. It is gone. It has ceased to exist."

It was funnier in my imagination.

Turns out that without the valiant BOFH and his trusty PFY to defend it, 'Odds n Sods' was the one that got 'disappeared'. :(

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

so long

I came here almost solely because of BOFH and while I was on the site I'd check the news.

No BOFH in a while and the articles have been getting worse and worse the last years.

You have been entertaining but enough is enough, I am out of here.

And as for placing BOFH in Data Centre when your readers clearly states that they want Odds & Sods back,

well, let's not start cursing and just call it a bad stance towards your users.

Bye

This topic is closed for new posts.