back to article Google+ mission creep continues with Hangouts slotted into Gmail

Google's social networking mission creep continued with Gmail on Monday when the ad giant slotted its Google+ Hangouts function into its web email service. The company confirmed it had ditched its peer-to-peer video chat feature. "Hangouts utilise the power of Google’s network to deliver higher reliability and enhanced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark C Casey

I wonder..

How long before you need a Google+ account for certain services on Google?

I really hope Google doesn't go down that route, I personally have no interest in G+. Google slurps up enough information about me as it is.

1. Ian Yates

Re: I wonder..

I doubt they will. Right now you can have a G+ account associated to any email address (in fact, if you've registered with any G service you probably have a G+ account waiting). But, and this is quite important to a lot of people, you do have the option to disable G+ from within your account settings.

Unless Google became the dominant social network and decided they could abuse such trust, I can't see them changing this.

Incidentally, you can also download all of your Google data (not just G+) from the same settings.

(need a tinfoil-hat icon)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gmail will eventually lock-in its users to Google+

Let see, Gmail does email. Err that's all I need, cheers anyway.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Gmail will eventually lock-in its users to Google+

...but every alias you set up in Gmail automatically gets another G+ account, which you then have to remember to delete. Luckily the arseholes at Google have started spamming G+ users with weekly emails - a useful reminder to delete the crap.

The dedicated feedback address for my app doesn't need a G+ account, just another unused one padding the G+ user number.

1. Ian Yates

"spamming G+ users with weekly emails"

Hmm... I'm not getting those. Am I missing out?

2. Craigness

It's also done video chatting for ages. You don't have to use it if you don't want to but cheers anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also linking up Blogger

An option to tie up a Google+ profile to Blogger was also just added:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/30/3205202/blogger-google-plus-tab-sharing

I hope they keep it optional, otherwise I'll dump Google completely.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slowly coming away from google

I deleted my Google+ account the other day.

I rent a server in California which comes with a domain name; complete control over my own e-mail and a sliding spam filter control.

My own web space with databases and scripting enables me to run my own web sites, blogs and forums; the last few months have seen some of my blogs moved, others destroyed as completley as I can, and only a few more still on blogger that have yet to be ported.

Not google related, but my twitter and facebook accounts were purges a short while back as well. My searching is also done by Yahoo; although when I draw a blank with that, I do turn to google.

Shortly, the only Google service I will use will be YouTube, because I can't afford the video bandwidth.

The only way out of this, is to take control of my own data, even if it means my, "social," interaction is limited to the comments on my videos. Besides, I've just joined the local ramblers so I get plenty of chance to talk with people in real time :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slowly coming away from google

I'm locked out of YouTube and Adsense because Google won't let me in without a mobile number. Don't have one and wouldn't cough up the number if I had.

Roll your own is the only way to go, really.

2. Turtle

@Michelle Knight: Re: Slowly coming away from google

You seem to have experienced a sort of epiphany recently with regard to how "surveillable" you are to the tech oligarchy, and how surveillable you want to be. Even though you could have reasonably had this epiphany quite a while ago, I can only admire the effort you have made to "take control of [your] data".

Nice! (And, of course, the very best of luck and success to you!)

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Like it matters.

By the time they've got the "hangouts" extension to the IMAP standards approved, I'll have had plenty of time to migrate to using something else.

6. bob's hamster

Google is getting worse and worse

Just got my shiny new Android running Ice Cream Sandwich, started taking some photos and discovered that by default they were automatically getting uploaded to Google+.

FFS I used to really like Google, but this is taking the piss. So much for do no evil, what are these people on!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google is getting worse and worse

Me too! Went on vacation with it.. it proceeded to upload 200 photos.. and I only have 180mb a month limit.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Google is getting worse and worse

Actually this was before Google+ as my Droid auto-uploaded some photos to Picasa 4 or 5 years ago, and it took me nearly 3 years to find and delete them, as they were uploaded somewhere in Picasa I could not see.

I did manage to find the "Sync Picasa Web Albums" option under "Accounts & Sync settings" and turn it the fuck off. I've also turned off "Sync Books" and "Sync Gmail" since I don't use the shite built-in Android email client.

Yes, I was a little irritated.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Crime to be Pro Google?

Wow very anti Google here. Surely some people must see the benefit or use google hangout in more places?

And uploading photos to G+ automatically? That sounds helpful rather than evil...

People need to stop being so paranoid.

1. Mark C Casey

Re: A Crime to be Pro Google?

Not so much, it's more Google trying to force G+ down peoples throats that rubs me the wrong way.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

No, it's NOT helpful. It's non-obvious and annoying, especially if you have large pictures and a data cap.

1. Craigness

Default is to upload over wifi.

Nobody is forcing G+ on anybody. You can delete your G+ account and keep your Google account.

1. No. Really!?

Some have data caps on more than just mobile.

> Default is to upload over wifi.

1. Craigness

From the G+ app feature list on the Play Store;

"Turn on Instant Upload to sync photos from your phone to a private Google+ album"

1) If you have a data cap on wifi then don't turn Instant Upload on.

2) It's a private G+ album, not exactly "the internet" where everyone can see your weiner. If you upload stuff by accident, delete it. Nobody is forcing you to share your candid photographs with the world.

2. Fibbles

"Nobody is forcing G+ on anybody. You can delete your G+ account and keep your Google account."

I shouldn't have to delete a G+ account I didn't sign up for...

1. Craigness
            WTF?

I shouldn't have to delete a twitter account I didn't sign up for. But, like you, I did sign up. And now what? If I don't use it then I will not be affected by it in any way at all, and neither will you if you don't use yours. How hard is it not to use something that you signed up for, or not to use something that you've not signed up for, or not to use something that is free, or not to use something that you paid for? I don't have any difficulty not using things, but it seems a lot of people do.

3. TraceyC
      Big Brother

"And uploading photos to G+ automatically? That sounds helpful rather than evil..."

Clearly, you *like* Google deciding, without your prior knowledge or consent, to do things with your data you may or may not consent to. You want them to decide for you that your data should be put on the Internet. So, if you happen to take a picture of your wiener using your Android phone, I understand you're OK with that picture being automatically uploaded to G+. Whatever floats your boat.

8. Craigness

This is not mission creep...

...and G+ is not a social network, it's a layer which connects all of Google's properties. Hooking hangouts (a communication system) into Gmail (a communication system) is exactly what G+'s mission is. You can already chat, talk and video chat from within Gmail.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like