back to article Russians in audacious stratobeer mission

A crack Russian team has made its pitch for High Altitude Ballooning (HAB) glory by claiming to have sent a couple of beers cans into the stratosphere. The experiment's goal was to determine whether light or dark ale has that little extra lift. The result, as you can see from the above video, appears to be that the Kozel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Cool!

But did they use helium or hydrogen?

2. Morteus
    Pint

Huh...

...so much for 'light' beer.

3. Greg J Preece

"It's not reported which of the two orbs came out on top, which is probably a wise move to avoid a commentard bloodbath down at YouTube."

You've not spent much time on YT, have you? They're not going to argue over the video. They're going to somehow link it to a completely different argument. I imagine there's currently a war going on in the comments section about Republican policies on abortion, or the existence of god.

4. Yet Another Commentard

Censorship of important research

Surely the matter of which beer is best in such circumstances is of key importance - how can the plucky Playmanaught possibly choose a pre-LOHAN snifter without knowing which globe was best to suckle from?

5. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Pint

LOHAN sponsorship opportunity?

Get Guinness to prepare you a can of draught with helium instead of nitrogen for the widget?

6. Spanners Silver badge
    Thumb Up

That makes me feel better about the Russians.

I once used to see the Soviets as as humourless and boring as those US conservatives with bad haircuts and metaphors about their 'sports'

Now the Russians have tried to dump that rubbish and have shown that they can do fun stuff like the rest of us but with better choral singing.

7. disgruntled yank

pivonautics

I trust this will do for El Reg what Sputnik did for the US. (Cause a panic about the state of education, baffle small children with the New Math, and shower yet more money on such of the Peenemunde crew as we had acquired.)

Will Lewis Page go on television and promise to put a can on the moon by the end of the decade?

8. Graham Bartlett

Stating the obvious

"Whatever the case, the beer cans were actually empty"

Well, natch. These are Russians.

9. David

How?

Am I the only one that wonders how they get these things back in order to get the video footage? I can't imagine it was being sent wirelessly back to them while in flight, or was it?

10. beast666
    Thumb Down

Fakeski

Can is too hi-res in focus etc etc... I can't really be arsed,

but its obvious...

11. imanidiot Silver badge
    Thumb Up

No suprise there.

As any fule kno, Kozel Cerny is far superior to Kozel Svétin. (Also, Kozel is a very enjoyable beer. Although I would never buy it in a can)

12. mhenriday
    Pint

Velkopopovický - in both pale and dark versions ?

Those were Russians of culture, as any Švejk fan kno. Don't blame them for emptying the tins first ; I'd certainly have done the same....

Be waiting for them down at U Kalicha at six in the evening after the War*...

Henri

*Pity now that we seem to be going back to wars that really take a long time to come to an end, like the Thirty Years War or the Hundred Years War, rather than relatively limited conflicts like WW I, in which Švejk and his comrades played so honourable a role....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like