back to article Gamer fails STAM roll, dies after 40-hour Diablo III stretch

A sleep-deprived gamer has died after playing Diablo III for 40 hours without a break, prompting advice from developer Blizzard about moderating one's gaming habits. A Taiwanese teen known only as Chuang booked himself into an internet cafe's private room on Friday and spent the next two days playing Diablo III, apparently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4
    FAIL

Bloody kids

The youth of today have no understanding about how their bodies work.

It's a bloody Fortitude save, not a STAM roll. Jesus.

2. TechnicianJack
    FAIL

Didn't this happen ages ago to a WoW player? Anyway, both people mentioned in the articles should be candidates for Darwin Awards.

1. Arbee

Doesn't meet the criteria.

Darwin awards are for people who improve the gene pool by removing themselves from it.

I don't think the sort of guy who plays Diablo III for 2 days straight was ever likely to be contributing much to that pool.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh? LoL games last about 40 minutes...

4. HamsterNet
    Coat

good job

That minecraft isn't in HD or else we would be killing of an entire generation

mines the one with blocks in the pocket...

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Coat

Re: good job

"That minecraft isn't in HD or else we would be killing of an entire generation"

Then I probably shouldn't tell you about the spoutcraft client, or about the whole range of HD mods for minecraft. :)

Mines the one made out of diamonds with tons of TNT in the pockets.

2. Not_The_Droids
      Devil

Re: good job

My son's of this minecraft generation. He'd play for days straight if we let him. The saving grace of that game (for me) is that it allows you to run your own server. I set up a VM on my machine, taught him how to do remote desktop, poked a port in the router, and said "there ya go". He's now admin of his 'own server' for him and a few buddies, and he's got it running pretty well. So he's not just playing a game, he's learning how to run a box. Little steps...

Of course, now he wants me to move it to a real box with lots of RAM... Thankfully I don't have any nearby elevator shafts, large safes, or raised floor rooms... he's a bit of a PFY right now, but one day...

5. Amorous Cowherder
    Pint

A bit tragic but if it wasn't D3, it would have been some other than game or interest. He obviously thought, like a lot of kids that he was invincible. The same reason boy racers wrap their twatmobiles round trees!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Darwin sleeps easy in his grave tonight

Sadly, far from the first gamer, and more often than not from the Far East.

7. Grashnak

Died of shock

Probably got an item drop that was something he could actually use, rather than sell at the auction house, and his heart couldn't take the shock.

1. Studley

Re: Died of shock

Hour #1: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #2: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #3: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #4: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #5: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #6: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #7: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #8: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #9: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #10: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #11: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #12: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #13: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #14: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #15: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #16: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #17: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #18: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #19: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #20: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #21: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #22: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #23: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #24: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #25: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #26: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #27: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #28: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #29: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #30: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #31: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #32: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #33: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #34: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #35: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #36: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #37: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #38: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (error 37)"

Hour #39: Logged in!

Hour #40: RIP

1. BlueGreen

Re: Died of shock

Hmm, got an old copy of diablo 2 recently, found a certain similarity.

(install).

Click.

Click. Click.

Click.

Click. Click. Click.

Click click click click click click click click....

...click click click click clickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickforseveralhours

"lord, this is brain-destroyingly dull. People paid for this?"

(uninstalls)

Anyway, I feel sorry for the guy's family.

8. xeroks

he could have been working

Perhaps this poor bloke wasn't addicted to gaming and didn't "play" himself to death.

Maybe he was just trying to earn some money via the real money auctions in Diabo III.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      Coat

Re: he could have been working

A terrible indictment of modern consume-credit-oriented society that requires us to work all hours of the day and nit just to stay above water whilst continually seeking the latest shiny t-

oooh new phone MUST HAVE BYE BYE COMMENTS

9. Imsimil Berati-Lahn
    Stop

Dehydration / attendant multiple organ failure probably.

48hrs, no food? No problem.

No sleep? No problem.

No water? Hmmmm, I reckon that'll do it.

Condolences to friends / family though. Tragic way to go. Tragic.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Rob

Re: Dehydration / attendant multiple organ failure probably.

Indeed, fatigue is an unbelievable strain on your body (internal organs wear/fail faster). Decent sleep is part of the requisite for a healthy life.

10. Owain 1
    Meh

Some responsibility on the game developer

It might be reasonable for the game server to kick you off for a certain amount of time (say 30 minutes) if your account has been active beyond the safe limits stated in their games terms and conditions: I'm sure they must have some sort of guidance on this kind of thing? Obviously you would need to be (moved to) somewhere 'safe' in the game. Or perhaps all the NPCs should start shouting "You must drink some water" and "Go eat something" or "Get some sleep"

Or is there a fear that this might be the developer accepting some sort of legal responsibility? If somebody dies because they fall asleep at the wheel of their car from driving for too long then I assume it's not the car manufacturer's fault?

1. ItsNotMe
      WTF?

Re: Some responsibility on the game developer

BULLCRAP! How about a little PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?

If the idiot was so stupid to not sleep or eat for 40 hours...then too f*cking bad. The world is better off without him.

1. Aldous
        Facepalm

whats strange is how these people can go on ignoring the bodys signals. i.e needing to pee/eat/drink. sure we have all lost a couple of hours thinking "i'm thirsty i should get a drink but one more turn/level/round first" but 40 hours of dehydration/hunger/ cramping up? and all this for what? a few extra bits of loot that would have still been just as likely to drop if you took a 5 min bathroom break every few hours?

2. Not That Andrew

I recall playing several older games that put up a nag screen or similar if you were playing after 12 or had been playing for more that 4 or 5 hours (I'm pretty sure Dungeon Keeper was one of them). Haven't noticed any recent games doing that, though.

11. ukgnome

How retarded do you need to be to require a warning for your gaming habits?

(or should that be gaming hobbits?)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We're saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time."

Family yes, friends? Doubtful...

13. John Latham

Commentards

Are there so few living people to rip the piss out of that you have to turn to freshly deceased gamers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Commentards

John, since you're here commenting, you must be much more intelligent, or at least have an understanding of the nutritional needs (etc.) of your body. The recently deceased-because-he-was-stupid gamer deserves nothing.

My personal record is 156 hours awake; of course, I ate/drank/etc during that 6 1/2 day stretch.

14. Figgus

Cause of Death?

Having played Diablo3, I'll wager the cause of death was extreme boredom.

Seriously, they might as well have named it Gauntlet 2012!

1. Thomas 4

Re: Cause of Death?

No...wouldn't work.

Gauntlet was fun.

15. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

40 hrs?

Who could tolerate 40 hours of Diablo 3? I just...what...I don't even...

16. saundby
    Devil

Hey, you, get offa my cloud!

Tune in, turn on, log in, drop dead.

It a generational thing, baby. You wouldn't understand.

17. Mussie (Ed)

My ex-wife played WOW 20 hours a day at one point because the money hungry cunts at blizzard make there games so time consuming.

I can believe they have the gall to say anything about moderation.....

18. Great Bu

Terrible, terrible shame........

...what a waste of a young life.

Did they mention anywhere what his login details were ? Or what level he got to in that stint ? Did he leave any cool items behind ?

Just, you know, to remember him by.......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like