back to article YouView 'launch event' to take place next week

YouView may be about to finally go public with its would-be IPTV platform standard. It has scheduled an announcement next week and is today kicking off a in-home trial of the service. Next week's event looks set to reveal the timetable for YouView's launch, presumably timed to coincide with the summer's Olympics coverage. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please be good

I can't get Sky or Virgin, so it's BT Vision for me at the moment which is decent enough but way behind the times. If BT upgrade the Vision box to a YouView box then I hope it will be good. At least give me Freeview HD, dammit.

Ideally I'd like LoveFilm integration, but I don't know if BT will hobble it so it won't compete with BT's on-demand service.

2. Jim 59

Hope it beats Topfield+Mystuff+WD live

3. Joseph Lord
    Facepalm

So they might "launch" it before the Olympics but you can't buy one yet

Less than 3 years late if they get it out by December. It will be interesting to see it although I still don't think it stands much chance of becoming a significant size platform in its current form without BT pouring hundreds millions of pounds into subsidising hardware (which may yet happen but isn't going to do their balance sheet much good).

4. Justa
    FAIL

Is it Christmas? There's a strong smell of turkey around here.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Devil

I just checked the weather forecast for Hell next week - heavy frost with possible icing conditions - so it could be launching after-all!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Received my trial box this morning and don't remember seeing any NDA

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NDA when you signed up for the trial

You may not remember the signing up process

2. Joseph Lord
      Gimp

Yes sign up had very onerous confidentiality conditions which I couldn't agree to so I didn't apply although I am quite curious about what they have been up to all this time.

If I remember rightly you couldn't even reveal that you are taking part or anything about the product to anyone who doesn't live in your house so I think you just breached it. Good job you are AC, hope they don't subpoena el Reg.

Icon for the legal gag.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This will be good if ...

... Humax provide it on the web-portal for their existing Freeview PVRs. I use iPlayer frequently and would definitely use it for other channels.

However if it means buying a new box then they can forget it.

1. Volvic

Re: This will be good if ...

It means buying a new box

7. The Axe
    Thumb Up

I'm with TalkTalk at the moment and have been looking forward to a replacement to it. Current box is a bit too susceptible to noise on the line and can crash at the drop of a hat. Hopefully with the new setup there will be more channels too.

8. 27escape
    FAIL

Seems a bit pricy

£300 seems a bit steep, if I pay a bit more then I could get a SmartTV with this stuff built in

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seems a bit pricy

Where did you get that price from?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The platform was originally due to be launched in 2010, but technical difficulties and arguments between stakeholders ensured that and later deadlines were missed.......That makes YouView's 'one box, many services' rather less of a unique selling proposition than it once was"

And when it falls flat in the face, the "big wigs" know just whom to blame!

THEMSELVES!!

1. Joseph Lord
      Facepalm

It was due in 2009

Actuall that is an error in the article. Canvas was originally supposed to launch for the Granada switchover and Freeview HD switch on at the end of 2009!

3 Christmases, one World Cup, almost all of Great Britain switched to digital, one Euro Cup and effectively an Olympics late (they don't have time to sell many boxes for the Olympics - trialists don't count in my book).

10. JDX Gold badge

Ignorant about this...

...it's passed me by. Is the idea it's a single way for BBC, C4, ITV to deliver streaming video - in effect a new additional tool alongside iPlayer which supercedes it?

Given the massive difference in quality between iPlayer and 4OD, I'd be worried it won't be as good as iPlayer is to begin with (although iPlayer implementations on non-PC platforms tend to be pretty hit&miss).

Or did I misunderstand totally?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ignorant about this...

It gives you a sort-of common interface for them, as long you're watching recent things. Anything that's been shown on TV in the last 7 days and is available to watch OD can be played directly from the Programme Guide.

Anything else and you have to launch the broadcasters' own applications; so effectively iPlayer, 4OD, whatever shit it is ITV offer.

Unfortunately other than having the OD stuff in the Programme Guide it's pretty much a pointless product, filling a hole in the market that doesn't actually exist.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only releasing boxes to 2000 trialists from today.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got my Humax box this morning.

Got my box this morning seems like a standard set top box.The pair of homeplugs straight on ebay.

1. Joseph Lord
      Facepalm

Re: Got my Humax box this morning.

You might need them back if they catch you breaching the NDA.

This topic is closed for new posts.