back to article Bendy, twisty keyboard wins Microsoft input tech competition

Microsoft last night announced the winner of a student design competition which saw two dozen scholars conceptualise ideas for future input devices. The MA Industrial Design students from Central Saint Martin's College of Arts and Design, London had their work on show, with half of the group shortlisted by Microsoft and one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl

Those digital post-it notes look pretty analogue to me. What's so digital about them?

2. thefutureboy

?

I'm surprised Russell Brand had enough spare time to come up with a flexi-keyboard.

3. Yag
    Boffin

Form over substance, as usual...

However, I hope that the "document scanner that turns words into braille" will be produced before those silly novelties...

I won't hold my breath.

(Boffin icon, or blind man icon, you decide.)

1. It'sa Mea... Mario
      Thumb Up

Re: Form over substance, as usual...

Should clearly have been the winner based on the items listed..

I have a keyboard at home that I can completely roll up, not just flex... no good for navigating the screen but can cause some interesting side effects if you do it while the computer is on ;-)

2. Fibbles

How is it form over substance exactly? I could certainly question the usefulness of some of these devices but the keyboard is keyboard shaped, the e-postits are square and flat, etc. The only thing that looks dubious is the roll up camera.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How is it form over substance exactly?

I think it is form over substance because none of this stuff actually works!

Whilst good design is important, without engineering that can make it work it's just an exercise in model making (here's a design for a hand-held directed energy weapon: http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/9/91/Type_2_phaser%2C_TOS.jpg)

3. JDX Gold badge

I'm amazed a braille translator didn't already exist.

How the hell does a USB stick act like a syringe?

1. Swarthy
        WTF?

Re: Form over substance, as usual...@JDX

I'm still trying to figure that one out.. does the plug come out when the plunger is depressed? or is it a "one-touch" back up of a configured directory: pull the plunger for back-up, press for restore?

4. Jacqui
    FAIL

Warning will robinson!

following the link to staff member ben hughes website may hurt you eyes - unless you are after fake watches and fake designer shoes :-)

Hmm site is still owned by Mr Hughes but is hosting this crap. (html redacted)

a href=".../watches-rolex-watch-c-1_10.html">Rolex Watches

href="...">Fake Watches

href="...">Replica Watches

href=".../watches-rolex-watch-c-1_10.html">Rolex Watch

href=".../watches-rolex-watch-c-1_10.html">Rolex

href=".../christian-louboutin-boots-c-9.html">Christian Louboutin Shoes

href=".../christian-louboutin-shoes-c-23.html">Christian Louboutin Sale

href="...">Christian Louboutin

href="....">Christian Louboutin Shoes

Not exactly a good advert is it?

5. moonface

Strange clothing

That chap sure has some freaky clothing. I am more interested in the design of that collar and how the hell that works!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like