back to article Indonesian ID card will deduct fines from bank accounts

Indonesians are being asked to adopt two identity cards, both of which will store their personal details in government-controlled databases, after the nation's National Police Criminal Investigation Division announce a sign-up drive for the Indonesia Automatic Fingerprint Identification System (INAFIS). Indonesians are already …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no wonder, i have connections there, and forging is easier than baking pie there, and it's not even expensive. people become officially related based on their business or private needs.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Paratrooping Parrot
    Black Helicopters

Oh heck! What are the chances that the databases will be hacked? Also, what are the chances that Indonesian government will be forced to hand over data to the CIA?

4. iansn
    Thumb Up

Having lived in Indonesia for 10 years , I know that there will be a lot of "hoovering"

5. Sway
    Big Brother

Usb

I really hope that any portable devices touching the database have whole disk encryption, because its only a matter of time before some retard government puppet leaves a laptop or usb key on a bus/train with 1000's of personal details stored on it.

1. Northumbrian
      Headmaster

Re: Usb

Okay, outbreak of political correctness no doubt, but I'm entering a pro forma objection to the word "retard". I'm probably feeling sensitive because we have a family member who is pregnant in her 40s, making the chance of a Downs baby non-negligible. And we have one already among the cousins. So the word "retard" is not one I'm easy with people using.

Secondly, it's over-optimistic in that it suggests that the "loss" of large amounts of data that way is most likely to be the result of stupidity. As others have said, cupidity or blackmail will achieve that faster and more efficiently.

6. Josco
    Thumb Down

What about HMG?

Has anyone told Her Majesty's Government about this? I imagine Revenue & Customs would like it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about HMG?

Don't go there. Just please, don't go there.

1. Northumbrian
        Big Brother

Re: What about HMG?

Sorry, it's too late. Our master IDS (no, that's Iain Duncan Smith, not the plural of ID) has already set all of this in motion. We will shortly (come 2014, I think) have a new structure for many of the main benefits paid out - including working tax credit, child tax credit, housing benefit, income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance and income-related employment and support allowance. It's designed to work by integrating the tax and benefits system - so it involves getting the HMRC's computer system to work with a new one at the DWP.

Enter The Guardian (23 March 2011)

"Hundreds of computer technicians in India are being hired to help develop an IT system for the government's universal credit welfare programme, work potentially worth hundreds of millions of pounds, despite promises that large data projects would remain in the UK.

Workers in Bangalore and Mumbai are being hired by the outsourcing firms Accenture and IBM to help design and maintain a delivery system for universal credit, internal documents show. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) signed contracts with the two firms reported to be worth £525m each in December.

The disclosure appears to contradict assurances from the employment minister, Chris Grayling, who told parliament in November that he would not allow his department's major IT projects to go abroad."

Note: to design AND MAINTAIN the system which has the details of everyone who is claiming any income-related benefit. Since we are talking households here, and benefits involving children, the details of a substantial part of the UK population will be entered into the system. And the system will then talk to the taxation databases, which has everyone's bank details.

Presumably the DWP's other big databases - including that of everyone near or over pension age - will get linked in as well.

And all being maintained in India, where the handling of credit card data has been such a howling success.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I take it nobody's asked Harry Buttle what he thinks about this...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Mr. Rajit Puranam, you are now >clickty-click< an un-person with balance $0.00."

It's such a convenient way for us to deal with Political Nuisances and Enemies of People Who Have Low Friends in High Places.

And, I wouldn't mind a little extra dosh to supplement my meagre police salary.

9. tmTM

How

Do the Indonesians manage to do something that we tried and failed at for ten years?

Not that I support the ID card fiasco in any way, but if it had failed faster it could have cost us less.

10. Christoph
    FAIL

Hey, great idea

"The state can automatically withdraw the amount from his or her bank account.”

What could possibly go wrong?

Don't people ever learn that "quick and easy" computer solutions to complex problems tend to have lots and lots of unintended consequences?

11. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Sounds like a NuLabour idea.

Mission creep? Big Brother not only watches you but has his fingers in your bank account, too.

12. M7S
    Stop

Now just merge it with the UAE plan in this article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/12/uae_nfc_id/ which effectively puts compulsory GPS tracking on every person and then you could even note (for example) their speed on a road, check it against the limit and fine them in real time if they are exceeding it, or telephone then (a la Onstar) and take a statement under caution whilst the offense is in progress. I'd say alleged but increasingly now it seems you must be guilty, otherwise you wouldn't be a suspect would you...

Makes UK road pricing proposals seem tame, although I'm sure we'd catch up quickly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like