back to article Top US science wonk wants Grand Challenges and 3D printers for the kids

Challenging engineers to build a starship and giving school kids 3D printers were among several big ideas put out by a top US Government science wonk in a speech in Washington this morning. Citing President Kennedy's challenge to put a man on the moon, Thomas Kalil, Deputy Director of the Office of Science and Technology …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. C-N
    Megaphone

Yes

A thousand times yes.

2. JDC
    Happy

Interesting idea, but flawed

Given the amount of willies I carved on desks during my time at school, I'm not sure that giving 12yr old boys access to 3D printers is necessarily the best idea in the world...

3. Jon Double Nice

Just don't forget to hook up the doll....

/Weird Science

4. Schultz

Scientific activism

You have to take all those political statements about science with a grain of salt. Politicians have to come up with grand ideas because that is what gets them elected. Those ideas don't necessarily translate into successful science. Google for <Szilard "do something about the retardation of scientific progress"> for a nice story illustrating this point.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3D printers?

Somebody should tell him about Lego.

6. Paul Mitchell 1

By ten

"reduce the cost of a space launch by ten."

Ten what? Ten percent? Ten dollars? Ten human lives?

1. auburnman
      Joke

Re: By ten

Literally by the number ten - they're taking it off the countdown. The verbal just before launch will start "Nine, eight, seven..."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019