back to article Facebook updates data archive tool, upsets privacy warriors

Facebook is dishing up a more comprehensive archive of the data it stores and tracks, after the Irish data protection commission requested that the dominant social network give its users full control of that information. But Facebook's updated tool – which allows users to download different types of data held by the company – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tzael

When delete actually means delete.

So when will Facebook offer a means to delete historical data that isn't currently visible on a user's profile? Somewhat rhetorical question, but it's nice to dream.

1. Donn Bly
      Big Brother

Re: When delete actually means delete.

Lets be honest here - the Government WANTS Facebook to track information, in fact it FORCES Facebook and other providers to track identifying information, presumably so that it could be turned over to the government upon request and/or subpoena. Even if Facebook wanted to (and I'm sure that they don't, as with the absence of the information they wouldn't be able to provide any positive defense if taken to court) they wouldn't be allowed.

The public has to realize that Government privacy watchdogs are talking out of both sides of their mouths. That as much as they pretend to be on the side of the consumer, their job is really to make sure that the Government has access to whatever information they want, on anybody they want, whenever and wherever they want - because it is through that information that they preserve and extend their hold on power - and if they can prevent someone else to have access to that information (the public themselves, advertising companies, etc.) so much the better because it gives them a monopoly.

I don't like it either, and I would love to be able to selectively remove things from an audit log, comments made in the heat of the moment, etc. - but it's just not going to happen.

So, letting you see what they have on you - permissible. Letting you permanently delete it? Big Brother wouldn't allow that.

2. Shannon Jacobs
    Big Brother

Where's my hundred bucks?

If you run the ballpark numbers, it appears that Facebook is supposed to be worth around $100/member. Where's my cut?

The funny part is that I don't feel free to ignore and avoid Facebook, though it's certainly an extremely dangerous website collecting extremely dangerous information and controlled by a person who I would never "Friend", even in the diminished Facebook sense of the word. My real friends have asked me to have some sort of presence there, but there is no way that I can regard it as anything like "safe" to be there.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Holmes

Re: Where's my hundred bucks?

I should add the point of clarification. Of course I'm not afraid of the exposure of my mistakes and flaws, since I'm that perfect person they keep saying there isn't one of. I'm actually most concerned about manipulation through my revealed strengths and interests. That's the much more insidious form.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Where's my cut?

You ARE the cut.

1. Dave Bennett

Re: Where's my cut?

That was really harsh.

Oh wait, 'cut'. My bad.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like