back to article RIM: BlackBerry sales to US gov still on the rise

The White House and American government departments are still buying BlackBerrys, RIM's senior VP of security told Bloomberg, claiming that RIM had increased its share in the federal contract market. RIM's BlackBerry, one of few handsets to be security-approved by the Feds, is the top seller in US federal markets, said Scott …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bear Features

Can't beat putting a negative slant when one wasn't necessary. Report it, what your opinion is, is irrelevant. Good journalism (that's sarcastic by the way).

1. frank ly

Ok, show us how it should be done.

That was a very short article so it shouldn't take you long. Can you enlighten us (and the author) by rewriting it in the way you think it should be presented; as an educational service?

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Trollface

Welcome to The Register. Here's your hanky.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

maybe they think

They might be worth a punt on the Antiques Road Show and increase in value when rim disappears?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love it. All the apple crowd.

not content with their toys being nothing more than good looking security loopholes, feel the desperate urge to slag off other products because they're not as beautiful.

How great it is that work type business products still have a market. For it means I'll be able to keep on buying them, and I can have a real keyboard, long battery life and a complete absence of temptation to buy spyware that does nothing useful.

You can see why Apple would love to corner their market though, forcing people to buy their underpowered, style over content, shit, would force even more people into their "We'll charge you to look at something you own" franchise.

1. tirk
      WTF?

I don't know which is more sad...

The non-sequitur anti-Apple troll or the madatory thumbs up rating for his rant. The Register really is turning into the smartphone section of Have Your Say (RIP).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They may this month, but check back soon.

Someone a couple steps up from my federal agency decided that as of June 1, 2012 Blackberries are out and iPhones are in, with a provisio for adding Android when the certs come through.

Don't ask me how (and I'm not supposed to hazard a guess on why), I'm just reporting what the papers have already said about our agency. And yeah, you likely read about us somewhat frequently here, but for entirely different reasons.

AC for obvious reasons.

1. Daniel B.
      Boffin

Bad if they are.

A device using a 4-digit PIN to "secure" any kind of crypto key? Not unless there's something else protecting stuff. Androids have got FIPS 140-2 according to this article, I'd think that those handsets are closer to certification.

I wouldn't bet on an iPhone as a secure device. If I were the US Government, I'd use the Sectera Edge instead; they developed a truly secure smartphone. This already came to light when Obama got elected.

4. flingback
    FAIL

RIMarkably dense behaviour...

I am trying to do a bespoke project for a group of customers that will guarantee RIM over 20,000 new handsets, along with infrastructure and continued similar growth for the next three years. To make this work I need access to a particular library that has been deprecated but I know is internally still in use at RIM. Despite repeated lobbying of their management and technical staff I just hit a wall - it is idiotic bureaucracy that could cost them dearly.

Someone needs to fire the top two tiers of management at RIM and make everyone else realise that if there isn't serious change and a willingness to embrace custom development then they are doomed. They will *never* be Apple or Google, and at this rate they won't be RIM for long. A truly sad tale of a successful company driven into the ground by it's board.

1. flingback
      WTF?

Re: RIMarkably dense behaviour...

Why the hell would someone downvote this? Are you RIM management or someone equally as stupid?

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: RIMarkably dense behaviour...

I'm not your down voter, but maybe RIM have a good reason to try and wean us off whatever library that was. Though it is a bit tardy of them if they're still using it, and I think I'd share your frustration. If its good enough for them, its good enough for us.

Which library is it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

REVIVE QNX

That's all I am saying...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like