back to article Apple fined $1.2m for flouting Italian warranty law

An Italian regulator has fined Apple €900,000 ($1.17m) for trying to sell a two-year extended warranty when customers were entitled to such a thing for free under Italian law. Apple offered a one-year warranty, with an option to extend that cover under an AppleCare Protection Plan, but Italian law says that all goods have to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

Naughty Naughty

Naughty naughty Apple.

I'm sure there will be more of this soon in the EU.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NOT CONTENT WITH.....

Selling overpriced good it is now OFFICIAL.

APPLE RIPS THEIR CUSTOMERS OFF

Probably just a clerical error until they can patent 'guarantees'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't this covered by EU Law

Will this open the floodgates of litigation throughout the EU?

I see a price rise on the horizon, to make up the losses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Re: Isn't this covered by EU Law

>I see a price rise on the horizon, to make up the losses.

Wouldn't making a product that is reliable enough not to fail in its first two years be the correct thing to do?

1. Gordon 10

Since Apple are famed for their build quality one might suggest this issue is already addressed.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good troll eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Gordon 10

I made a genuine comment. I don't doubt the quality of Apple products nor their after sales service, my family have a number of iPods including a 1st generation one which is currently in the process of being replaced due to the battery issue. However, only offering a one year warranty does not instill consumer confidence in Apple products.

But if your looking for trolls then consider this. Build quality just means it's nice and shiny to hold and fondle, it is not a reflection of the quality of the inner workings.

1. Zippy the Pinhead
              Stop

@ Chris W

"Build quality just means it's nice and shiny to hold and fondle, it is not a reflection of the quality of the inner workings."

It most certainly does also refer to the quality of its workings to me!

2. FanMan

Actually...

They already do mate.

3. Zippy the Pinhead
          Stop

No company can do this... That's the reason why there is a warranty... In other words that there is a reasonable expectation that the product properly maintained should be expected to last at least 2 years. If the device fails then it's fixed or replaced for free. I would expect the same from a Rolex or a Ford or a low end DVD player.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You people (or is it the same person) get far too excited over this.

You didn't need to buy AppleCare, and Apple doesn't push it at POS - unlike Currys et all over here.

How's that ripping off anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@How's that ripping anyone off?

Read the article.

They were OBLIGED BY LAW to tell the customer of the statutory two year warranty in Italy.

They didn't do it. End of story.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They already offered the two year warranty, what they didn't do was inform the customer. That's what they're being fined for.

Of course that doesn't fit with what the freetards and fandroids want to hear.

They want to hear 'rip off' so they can rustle up some indignant rage and bask in their own self satisfied smugness

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
            Trollface

RTFM

"An Italian regulator has fined Apple €900,000 ($1.17m) for trying to sell a two-year extended warranty when customers were entitled to such a thing for free under Italian law"

In other news crApple have patented the iYear*(c)(tm), all crApple products now come with 2 iYears warranty.

* 1 iYear = 6 calendar months

2. big_D Silver badge
        FAIL

didn't need Apple Care...

because Apple should have been providing the second year anyway!

That is the point of the fine. Apple gave a 1 year warranty and refused to give the statutory 2nd year, unless people paid extra for Apple Care.

Still, it works the other way as well. Leatherman offered a "lifetime guarantee", but Germany said that they couldn't do that, as it didn't specify a period. They changed it to 25 years and said that after that, they would still replace it anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Get your facts right

Apple IS and was already giving Italian users a second year of warranty FOR FREE

What they haven't done is inform customers of this at point of sale, not that unusual when did a seller ever make it a point of mentioning the warranty?

The problem here was Apple was also selling their Appleacare product which includes the extra warranty BUT it also includes premium extras like advance replacement and full telephone support.

Italian regulators though this could still mislead buyers into thinking they needed to buy Applecare.

1. Anonymous Cowerd
            FAIL

@Metavisor

"What they haven't done is inform customers of this at point of sale, not that unusual when did a seller ever make it a point of mentioning the warranty?"

It's extremely unusual not to do it when it's a legal requirement in the country you are selling it in.

2. Zippy the Pinhead

@Metavisor

Previous articles have stated the Apple has in fact attempted to worm out of warranty service within Italy because people didn't buy the "extended service"!

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Get **your** facts right.

Article 133 of the Italian Consumer Code states explictly "The offeror shall ensure that the guarantee states at least: [..,] in plain intelligible language the contents of the guarantee and the essential particulars necessary for making claims under the guarantee, **including the duration** and territorial scope of the guarantee and the name and address of the guarantor."

(http://www.consumatori.it/images/stories/documenti/Codice%20del%20consumo%20english%20version.pdf).

Despite this Apple 1) didn't inform the customer as the law requires 2) tried to not comply with the law (people opening this case did because Apple tried not to comply, not because they weren't given the proper informations only). It was done not only at its "point of sales", but also on its web stores where full warranty informations must be given to the buyer as reported here: http://www.agcm.it/stampa/news/5829-sanzioni-per-complessivi-900mila-euro-al-gruppo-apple-per-pratiche-commerciali-scorrette.html

And, sorry, most shops I buy from usually tells me the warranty length when I buy something, especially something expensive. Apple should train its employee better and design its site to comply with local laws.

I do not know if you're an Apple employee or not, but you're trying to tell a different story. Get the facts right, please.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

APPLE FANBOIS WILL

Have a field day with their down voting here, it must hurt being caught with their trousers down!

1. Chris 3
      Gimp

Not really

Apple fanbois - and indeed many others - will have a field-day downvoting comments with all the intellectual content of the average Youtube video comment. Here, have a downvote from me.

Apple was caught bang to rights here, but the reasons are weird. Either it simply thought it would ignore the law, which seems unlikely somehow once warned, or it scrambled and failed to produce a coherent Italy-based plan in time.

One of the problems, I suspect is that Applecare is global - I can buy in one country and then get Applecare anywhere else, just by quoting the serial number. So if the ruling applies to all Italy-bought items presumably their warranty will need to be extended globally for that item, or Apple can decide that the warranty extension only applies to Italy-bought items being serviced in Italy. You could see how this might get a bit knotty.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not really

>Either it simply thought it would ignore the law, which seems unlikely

Apple have lawyers that can find patent infringers hidden under stones in the junlges of darkest Peru on a very dark night so I cannot buy into the idea that they are unaware of consumer law in any country they have stores.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When I bought a Citizen watch a few weeks ago, I was given two warranty cards. One lasting two year valid only in Europe, and a one year only "Worldwide warranty" valid abroad.

Now if Citizen can manage it this way, I guess the mighty Apple could manage it as well.

The real issue is I've read already US articles stating that "long warranties" are bad for customers because they "increase prices". Now I believe that the costs of building better products are better shared among the whole customer base instead of the costs of reparing or replace a defective product out of warranty for the unlucky ones when a company knows it can deliver products that just need to last a shorter time. Probably those writing those articles then buys German cars instead of US ones because "their quality is better" even if they are much more expensive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fandroids will be

getting over excited at the chance to knock apple. This story clearly shows they're irrational hatred is right

1. EyeCU
        Facepalm

irrational?

Irrational implies there is nothing to hate. As most people on here will say, the problems aren't with the products it's with the way the company does business, customer lock-in, blaming customers for design flaws, vague catch-all patents, private security forces that invade peoples homes, refusal to work well with other companies, claiming they invented everything ever, the list goes on and on

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unlikely?

>It's easy to accuse Cupertino of American arrogance in failing to respect local laws, but that seems unlikely

Why unlikely? This would be far less than the arrogance shown after a US airforce pilot went on a joy ride killing 20 civilians near Cavalese.

1. Marty
      Mushroom

too easy to blame....

its too easy to blame the pilot for going on a "joy ride" but in the incident you refer to, there was a whole host of things in play that caused that accident. Out of date maps not showing the cables in the first place was one of them. If more modern maps were made available, the planes would not have even been in that vale.

Politically, it was better to blame the pilots than the whole USAF as that would at the time have got the USAF kicked out of Italy if they had actually told the whole truth....

nuke? well it is the USAF we are yapping about

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: too easy to blame

>Politically, it was better to blame the pilots than the whole USAF as that would at the time have got the USAF kicked out of Italy if they had actually told the whole truth....

Not telling the whole truth is the sort of arrogance that has landed Apple in trouble but unlike the Apple case neither the pilot nor navigator were punished directly for their actions.

2. Equitas
        Mushroom

If you lived in an area where .....

various NATO air forces practice you would know that the dangerous time is when the USAF boys are around. They dropped a bomb on a war-time airfield building on the perimeter of the main NATO low-level bombing practice range a couple of miles away from here. Mercifully it was a practice bomb loaded mainly with concrete rather than high-explosive. A couple of farm-workers were working in the the other half of the same building. Public statement from the home base of the said USAF plane made much of the fact that it was "an uninhabited area." It's also a well-known fact that when any of their USAF boys get into trouble in terms of criminal charges they're removed from the country post-haste so that they aren't held to account. They don't do themselves any favours in terms of public relations. But then they reckon they're dealing with untermenschen anyway, I suppose.

2. g e

No refund order from the court?

It's likely that Crapple did something along the lines of...

How much Applecare profit can we make vs how much we're likely to be fined? More?

Great. Do it.

Hopefully people will be able to demand refunds for mis-sold cover.

1. Zippy the Pinhead

and for damages to the people they mis-sold that coverage to.. provide and additional 2 years coverage for free!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Italy

Isn"t this the same country who's also trying to arrest the Google executives ovr a YouTube video?

If only they channeled all this legal energy into sorting their government's corruption.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They broke the law

and we all know that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

They either didn't know (ignorance) or didn't care (arrogance).

Either way, it's unacceptable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Like when Google broke Italian law?

Was that ignorance or arrogance?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/06/google_italian_privacy_conviction_youtube/

So you think Italy should jail the executives as they want? Either way it's unacceptable, right?

1. Anonymous Cowerd
        FAIL

@Like when Google broke Italian law?

Yes, that's exactly what I think. They broke the law. It's no good crying afterwards that they didn't know it was illegal. They SHOULD have known.

2. David Neil

Why not

The US did it with people who ran Gambling sites

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Zippy the Pinhead
        FAIL

@ AC

Maybe they should have had one of those 1000's of lawyers they employ inform them of the laws they were breaking.. on wait.. they were to busy looking for patent violations!

7. Mephistro
    Facepalm

Small typo in the article

"...an American corporation SCAMMING ITS CUSTOMERS certainly makes an easy target ..."

Fixed.

8. Nick Pettefar

Apple Care

Apple UK just replaced the case, including keyboard and trackpad of my four and a half year-old MacBook, for free. Last year they gave me a new battery for it.

They replaced the motherboard of my son's G5 iMac a couple of years ago, also for no charge.

I am a content customer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same here

Got my 4 years old MBP back from (free) repair due to the old NVIDIA chipset issue, but Apple found the disk was also borderline so they replaced it for free as well (after calling me to ask if that was OK and if I had backups). Took 4 days and only because they didn't have the old motherboard in stock.

Shame the fandroid/anti-Apple trolls (*coff* LarsG) who post here would rather be more content with HTC and others level of service, i.e. nightmare. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/18/htc_failed_support/

1. LarsG

SADLY.....

I don't work for Apple and it cost me to repair my out of warranty MB.

I suppose though it is only right for Apple fanbois to accuse me of trolling, when I am just refering to FACTS, incidentally I have a 4s which is issued not out of choice. I find the phone as good as any other but object to Corporations the use billy boy tactics.

As to the article, Apple had time and could have mitigated things but chose not to for some reason. They have kept a strange silence over it.

So sitting in my living room typing this on my 4s I have the smile of smug satisfaction on my fact.

2. LarsG

SADLY.....

I don't work for Apple and it cost me to repair my out of warranty MB.

I suppose though it is only right for Apple fanbois to accuse me of trolling, when I am just refering to FACTS, incidentally I have a 4s which is issued not out of choice. I find the phone as good as any other but object to Corporations the use billy boy tactics.

As to the article, Apple had time and could have mitigated things but chose not to for some reason. They have kept a strange silence over it.

So sitting in my living room typing this on my 4s I have the smile of smug satisfaction on my face.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@LarsG

You? With a 4S?

Pic or it didn't happen

3. Chris Parsons

I bought an HTC Desire Z dirt cheap on eBay. After about 6 months there was a problem with the touch screen. I had not registered it and did not hold out much hope of support from HTC, yet within a week it was all sorted. Maybe I was lucky, but I speak as I find.

2. Gold Soundz

They recently replaced my 11.5 month old Mac Mini Core 2 Duo machine with a brand new (top of the range) Core i5 model and a 12 month warranty because they almost imperceptibly damaged the case of the one I'd put in for repair.

I was bloody thrilled with that.

1. Zippy the Pinhead

So you are happy They replaced something THEY damaged? I would have expected it!

3. Armando 123

All these downvotes for people who talk about Apple providing great, above-and-beyond customer service? Wow, some people's children ...

All I can say is that we've had great service from Apple. Their people have gone WAY above and beyond the warranty to keep us happy. And from what I hear from others I know, we're not the only ones, I know anecdote <> data, but a *lot* of people have very similar stories of quality hardware and great after-sales service.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Armando 123

Fully agree with you. State that you got good service from Apple and you get downvoted, comment that you got bad service and get upvoted. In my mind a statement of fact is not an opinion to be agreed nor disagreed with.

To paraphrase someone who once replied to me when I questioned why someone else was being downvoted. Don't try to understand them it'll only do your head in.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm thinking it's because the article is about Apple not bothering to mention that they have to offer a two year warranty and selling you an extended warranty instead. "They fixed my iPod" is not a good enough reason to forgive them for ignoring laws.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC

I see your point but I think the posts were more boastful off-topic comments on the level of service provided by the additional Apple Care warranty rather than forgiving the wrongful selling of it.

We'd never get to the end of the comments if along the way we donwvoted every comment that was off-topic.

4. Zippy the Pinhead

They didn't replace it for free.. you paid for it with the extended coverage! Do the math.. you probably could have replaced the device for less than the cost of the extended coverage.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not Italian law only, it's an EU directive

The minimum two year warranty is not just an Italian law. It's an EU Directive, it should be Article 5 of the EU Product Warranty Directive (1999).

To sell in EU, and in Italy too, Apple has to comply with local laws, as any European company wanting to sell in the US. If in the US lately consumer protection went down the sink because "stakeholders value" and CEO bonuses are more important than everything else and rubbish can be sold to increase them, that's just a US problem. Elsewhere people can think differently and want that companies start to sell products that don't fail as soon as one leaves the shop with a 30 sec warranty only.

Apple is not alone, HP for example is trying to play the same game, especially now that most products sold are replacement for older ones and people must be forced to buy new ones even if they don't need them. But a company that built a lot of its reputation for "superior" products looks very bad if it can't comply with a law that just asks for a standard two year warranty. Moreover, Japanese companies have no problem to comply (i.e.Canon, Citizen, etc.). Only US ones have.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That was not the issue here

Apple was already proving 2 years of warranty in Italy, as per Italy's implementation of the EU directive you mention.

The fine was because Apple didn't state this clearly in their communication, and was at the same time selling an AppleCare product which overlaps with this.

However AppleCare is more than Italy's legal requirement, since it includes advance replacement, full phone support and International cover.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, it was.

You can read here the official document:

http://www.agcm.it/stampa/news/5829-sanzioni-per-complessivi-900mila-euro-al-gruppo-apple-per-pratiche-commerciali-scorrette.html

Sentence 1) says that Apple was only applying the 1 year warranty and put obstacles to the ones trying to have their 2-year right fulfilled.

The Italian Antitrust agency recognizes that AppleCare partially overlaps the standard warranty, but Apple is bound to apply the 2-year warranty anyway and should tell it explicitly.

There is a 400k fine for 1) and another 500k for the lack of clear informations to customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

LDS

Conveniently to your point you forgot to add that sentence 1 also refers to the Apple poorly communicating the customer right to a 2 year warranty.

That's what

"presso i propri punti vendita e/o sui siti internet apple.com e store.apple.com, sia al momento dell’acquisto che al momento della richiesta di assistenza, non informavano in modo adeguato i consumatori sui diritti di assistenza gratuita biennale previsti dal Codice del Consumo, "

means.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, **also**. In addition to the fact they were trying not to comply.

I posted the link to the whole document. It was denied that Apple was fined because it didn't comply with the two year warranty requirements and that assertion was false because it was fined while trying to deny that right. 1) **Also** it refers to the poor informations given. **Also**.

Of course they can't say "You have two years of mandatory warranty but we are not going to comply with it". Misleading informations are the necessary means to try to deny you a right you have.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Atonnis

Ummm....

This isn't just Italian law. Under EU law electronic goods have a two year warranty, including the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

It's not a EU law

It's a EU directive. Completely different, like an interface is different from a class implementing it.

And no the UK doesn't have a two year warranty law, because the Sales of Goods act overrides it.

1. alun phillips
        WTF?

Tesco's?

@Metavisor Hell i'm gonna throw this in to muddy the water,

www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jun/05/consumer-rights-returned-goods

The EU directive apparently(?) says "All EU countries have to ensure a retailer could be held liable for all 'non-conformities' which manifest within two years from delivery. However, this is not a two-year guarantee (although eurospeak does not help by describing this as the 'legal guarantee'), because goods are not required, in law, to last for those two years."

So I suppose they could argue thats it's free of non-conformities, but just sh*t once the SOGA protection has expired, in the UK at least.

12. david 63

That's upset the...

...AppleCart.

13. Sir Barry
    Pint

Excuse me people, but I think everyone has missed the real story here.

Italy has a huge financial deficit and this is effectively a way of grabbing some cash to help out.

Don't be surprised to see this same story a few more times, just change the company name...

Pint as I'm not working until 3rd January ;-)

1. Tchou
      WTF?

And 900k€ is supposed to make a difference for a country like Italy?

Their GDP is $1828 billions for nearly 60 million Italians. They are the 8th largest economy in the world.

Did you miss that Apple actually broke the law?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iLove

Why do people relentlessly and irrationally defend the illegal activity of a company (whose only purpose in life is to take their money) as if it were their misunderstood child? There has to be something seriously missing if you find yourself forming emotional attachments to such an entity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iHate

Because there's so many relentless and irrationally attacks in these forums as if Apple was the some sort of spawn from the Devil itself.

Some people are either very jealous or missing something in their lives to form such hateful relation with a computer company.

That or we're just trolling around.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"a company (whose only purpose in life is to take their money)"

Uhh, that's kinda the point of having a company, you know. I own a business, and indeed, it's my company's purpose in life to 'take their money' and then give them a product in exchange.

I'm really not sure why people (in general) rail against this, as if organizations-that-sell-things-for-money are evil because they sell things for money. It gets kinda hard to keep giving people product if you don't ask them for money in return!

15. geolight
    FAIL

Apple are great with their customers... NOT

I got my sister an iPhone 4, she uses it overseas. The camera managed to stop working less than a month after the one year warranty. local dealer was not interested to fix it. got it here in Oz, had to pay $179 to fix it (it took 3 months for it to reach her with my mum) .

I call that a rip off and crappy customer relations. would never buy apple again. problem is my sister is a sucker for them even after this problem! I love their Macbooks, but after this, would not be getting anything from them for myself.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

What does this mean...

...for hard disk drives where the warranty was slashed to one year in some cases?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

It means the retailers are up shit creek

You as a customer are automatically entitled to the 2-year warranty as per EU Directive from the retailer.

The usual way of things is that the retailers are covered by the manufacturer - as a sweetener to carry their goods.

However, business to business sales (like the retailer and manufacturer) don't require that warranty. So now, the retailer can't pass (part of) the cost of honouring the 2 years back to the hard disk manufacturer anymore.

The end result is that prices of the non-manufacturer warranted drives will rise as retailers have to amortise that additional cost. In time you may also see some retailers drop the short-warranty brands - as an OEM we are considering switching model because we do 2-year commercial warranties as standard, and we've already eaten a lot of costs due to shoddy drives.

17. Fihart

uk sale of goods act ?

If you take a product back to Apple Store in London one week outside 12 month warranty do they still try to charge for repair or offer you just a 10% discount on a replacement ?

My understanding (from Trading Standards Officer) is that consumer durables should be durable. That means long outlasting a 12 month warranty.

To be fair, several High Street chains need reminding of this -- the "sorry we only replace within warranty" nonsense is usually overturned via a call to head office. I'd be interested to know if any customer has had to challenge Apple on this.

18. Zippy the Pinhead

why all the down votes

Because people are tired of the holier than thou attitude from the fanbois.. So when people try to apologize for Apple's miss-steps they get downvoted... Apple may be the "Most Loved" tech firm.. But I bet there are almost as many if not more who feel an equal amount of dislike.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Zippy - All companies miss steps at one time or another. Big or small there's not a single one that hasn't. So you pick the one realistic choice that aligns with what you want. My stack of choice is Linux on servers, OS X on desktops and iOS on mobile devices - it works well for me.

Trouble only starts when you begin to shit on other's choices, as the first posts in these comments exemplify. Note: from what I can see it wasn't apologetic fanboys who posted first here.

That said there must be some people who actually enjoy all this mudslinging.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Zippy

It would be interesting to be able to see how many of the people who downvote pro-Apple comments have an actual grievance or are doing so just because "that's the in-thing to do" or like geolight mentioned below feel fobbed off when they don't get their own way.

Disliking a company for irrational reasons does not justify telling others they also should not like it.

All I can see is positive comments from people who paid for Apple Care and one from geolight about a product failing after warranty and expecting it to be fixed. He makes no mention of statutory rights in Oz so I'm assuming the one year warranty is all that was required to comply with local laws. Now if geolight had paid for Apple Care and refused service then he'd have a genuine grievance, as it is he doesn't. Or maybe he and others expect every company to fix things out of warranty. He says he won't buy Apple again but I suspect he would have received the same treatment from most companies. If he keeps that up he'll save a lot of money by never buying anything once he runs out of "preferred suppliers"

19. Nick Pettefar

Sales Of Goods Act, etc. (bit of a ramble, sorry.)

I bought a bag for my MBP from Amazon.co.uk and 15 months later a cord tensioner thingy flew apart. I sent them an e-mail and received one in return telling me to eff off. I replied stating that the bag should have been fit for purpose for more than a yea rand they should know this and next minute the telephone rings and an obsequian tells me that as my bag is only three months old he will refund me the total price. All somewhat surreal. One would have imagined that Amazon.co.uk would know the UK laws and can also see the details of their order. I have dealt with Amazon several times with regard to warranties, returning faulty or incorrect goods and they really seem to be a random shambolic act.

I agree that Apple do seem to be trying to ride roughshod over the EU two-year law at least concerning the information they publish on their website and they should be punished for not making it clear what the situation and their responsibilities in the EU are. We consumers do seem to get a bad deal when it comes to warranty and guarantee information, compounded by the ease with which we can move around within the EU. I think our EU expectations of sameness are not being matched with reality, maybe that is a high expectation but I am an optimist and hope that things will only get better.

The confusion for shoppers in the UK over the Sales Of Goods Act (www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54), Distance Selling regulation (www.out-law.com/page-430), the EU to-year warranty (www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html) and what the manufacturers and suppliers inform us is really an unforgivable mess and needs to be sorted out. It is most likely a similar mess in all the other EU countries too with previous and existing laws and practices .

20. saabpilot

Pass the petty cash tin !

21. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Why can't we have mandatory 2-year warranties in the U.S.? That would cut down on the defective crap the big corporations try to sell us.

22. Equitas

Should they not ....

have prohibited the import or sale of all Apple products into Italy until such time as the requirements had been fulfilled?

23. Equitas

Has anyone noticed ...

how the public perception of Italy has greatly improved? :-)

24. W. Anderson

Apple sanction in Italy

The writer Bill Ray is indeed expressing "arrogance" and some prejudice in suggesting that " ...It's easy to accuse Cupertino of American arrogance in failing to respect local laws, but that seems unlikely "...., since Mr. Ray has no evidence that Apple did not intentionally disregard the laws of Italy.

The arrogance generally does come from US companies, such as Microsoft's actions against the European Union in their ant-competitive/Ant-Trust case, and many Brits play their usual role of American Dupe.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

$1.2 million?! Oh Dear.

Apple spends $1.2 million on their toothpick budget. It is just a nuisance lawsuit.

26. Dodba

http://store.apple.com/it/product/MC265T/A

Apple is selling Apple care writing evidently that the free support is only for one year.

This is the point.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like