back to article OpenStack is overstretched

I'm back again at my daily job after a week travelling between San Francisco and Silicon Valley. It's clear that the hot topics there are cloud and flash storage; in fact the first meeting I had last week in Silicon Valley was with OpenStack. cloudopenstack130x86 OpenStack is an open source project launched a couple of years …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lloydde

Stretched?

HI Enrico,

I just started this week as the Support Lead for Piston Cloud. We are close to shipping pentOS, the first enterprise OpenStack cloud operating system specifically focused on security and easy operation of private clouds.

I think "OpenStack is an open source project launched a couple of years ago by Rackspace" might make it unclear NASAs and others contributions that made that possible.

What do you feel are the top reasons and areas that OpenStack is overstretched? I was surprised to read "The numbers could be seen as high but they are necessary to sustain the community's numerous sub-projects which create a dispersion of resources." which suggests that we, the OpenStack community, has the resources.

Could you also clarify what you mean by "I discovered that only one-third of these companies are really contributing to the code in some way? I think (a) there are a lot of other essential ways to participate, and (b) it takes time to get up to speed on any technology, explorer the code, investigate solutions, and make the relationship in the community to advocate your code. 2012 is going to be a huge year for OpenStack!

Would you provide the best examples of the hundreds of other similar open source projects that lost focus, so I might research them and try to learn from their mistakes? You use the term similar, so if you could restrict it to those, that would be wonderful.

I'm a big fan of open source where participants have pragmatic motivations. Therefore, I don't share you concern about the "very different, often conflicting, goals". The best designs and code will win the day!

Thanks for the read!

2. billdig

CloudStack vs. OpenStack: Real World versus Emerging

I agree with the sentiment of this article.

If you are thinking of deploying a private cloud or a hybrid cloud, CloudStack is a solution that you can use today. OpenStack is an emerging solution that you will be able to use some day. It seems to have the ideas and even implementation but it is not firm and is not easy to implement.

Small and medium companies will need to see where OpenStack is in six months, and since OpenStack is a standard not a product, you will need to find products that have the feature sets you need.

This is not to say that OpenStack does not have potential, because it does. It is just to say you can't deploy potential to production. If you need to deploy something soon, then CloudStack is a good pick.

Since CloudStack will be supporting OpenStack and it is a product you can use today, it seems like a good pick today. Also its support of OpenStack will make it a good pick for the future.

So it seems like you will have three turnkey solutions for OpenStack: CloudStack, Project Olympus and Piston Cloud.

http://cloud.mammatustech.com/our-company/news-feed/cloudstackvsopenstackrealworldversusemerging

1. lloydde

Standard?

Hi billdig,

You make some good points, though calling OpenStack a "standard" makes me uncomfortable. I'd feel better if you called it a framework or toolkit.

Thanks,

Lloyd

3. Chris Kenyon - Ubuntu | Canonical

Openstack support in Europe

Enrico,

Openstack is indeed an ambitious project with support from many of the largest companies in the industry.

If you need to get an OpenStack cloud up and running, Ubuntu Cloud provides companies with Ubuntu + Openstack in a tested and validated solution with management tools.

In terms of consultancy and deployment support in Europe, Canonical are already helping customers in Europe design, deploy and manage OpenStack based clouds and I can assure you that they are not all NASA :-)

Chris Kenyon - Canonical

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like