You always remember your first Doctor...
...mine played the recorder - still my instrument of choice!
I think the current series is brilliant. Ecclestone-Tennant-Smith have played the Doctor brilliantly - Smith in particular is heading towards bestest evar! The companions are also brilliant - Rory is great, Amy is ok, but my goodness River! Oh yes baby, you can kiss me anytime! Plus she's good with a Nerf gun (why yes, I am converting a Nerf pistol to River's gun for my wife, why do you ask?).
Our Local cable network has been replaying the Tom Baker seasons - most of which I haven't seen for more than 25 years, and it's funny how all the brilliant episodes I remember... weren't. Let's see:
1. "the Horror of X" "The X of Evil!" "The X of Death!" um, maybe some originality might have been good.
2. Sarah Jane - run run run trip scream! walk around corner SCREAM! SCREAM SCREAM! No. just... no. She was crap.
3. Leela - unfairly maligned. Claims of being there only for eye-candy are just silly - she was smart, alert, didn't scream, could punch a bloke, (TBH wasn't much eye candy anyway) and was acted very well by Louise Jameson.
4. Tom Baker - far more violent than I remembered! Well described as cat-like though, for large hairy manic values of cat.
5. Cybermen - the modern ones kick arse. The old ones... didn't.
6. Amazing to see how much a certain famous author ripped off from other writers - even verbatim!
7. The Wirrn - would love to see them return, they were pretty creepy.
8. Were the Robots of DEATH! the same mob who crewed the Titanic II? Very similar. (Also the adventure that links to B7 with mention of Kaldor City!)
9. Four (or six!) parters - Genesis of the Daleks - Brilliant. Talons of Weng Chaing - I fell asleep. Yes, asleep. During Dr.Who. Asleep. Also the Horror of Fang Rock - the horror was it was so bad, and seemed to have been scripted by a 10-yr old. Yes, RTD did go the gay angle, but at least he can write!
I'm hoping the network shows the Peter Davison series, in fact I'd love to see the others too. Especially Peri!
Thumbs up, because ANY Dr.Who, even 8, is infinitely better than NO Dr.Who!