back to article Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Look who’s back. Despite well-documented development team difficulties after the release of Modern Warfare 2, a feeling of increasing apathy for a franchise already over milked and fierce competition from EA in the shape of Battlefield 3, it seems you just can’t keep a good - and immensely profitable - series down. Modern …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GrumpyJoe

After all the problems I had with BlOps online play

can we confirm that the connectivity is better than before? Lag killed the multiplayer on PS3 for me, so much that I traded it in.

Being killed by a shooter BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN ROUNDED A CORNER gets old quickly.

I realise it's a different studio but there MUST be shared code somewhere - and I'm guessing the problems won't come out until a few days after release.

1. tmTM

Lag killed it for you?

The racist abuse from the teenage players wore me down fastest.

1. Andrew Lobban

Its tedious for sure, but that's why we have a 'mute' option.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Then you are buying the wrong games..

multiplatform titles that support the Xbox (and thus tied into Xbox Live) will always support the vastly inferior and lag-prone P2P network gaming (which slows to the lowest connected player).

Buy PS3 exclusives that uses dedicated servers and you don't get those problems.

1. MJI Silver badge

Most are Peer to Peer

I know Uncharted 2 was, Uncharted 3 is, and so is Killzone 3.

KZ3 doesn't appear to get much lag issues.

They are all exclusives and peer to peer

2. Citizen Kaned

so.....

BF3 gets marked down for its SP yet the MP is much better than WM3.

the vast majority of gamers on these 2 games play the SP to complete and never play it again (in fact i doubt many even play the SP)

BF has always been about MP. you say they are similar when in fact PC BF3 has so much more scope its untrue.

i guess the reviewer is a die hard COD guy and never actually played on 64 man servers with tanks, helicopters, jets and buildings being blown up. oh, and all controlled by the players, not scripted.

im starting to sound like a fanboy here but ive just found COD games to be brainless camper fests. i prefer teamwork and squad play on a big scale. sandbox is the way to go, not scripted.

1. Shakje

"sandbox is the way to go, not scripted"

As you clarified in the same para, that's *your* preference. I bought BF3 on pre-order, and MW3, and after playing BF3 I'll be mostly playing MW3 for the foreseeable future, and it's got nothing to do with gameplay. In fact, I really like BF3, it's a great change of pace, and (mostly) thoroughly enjoyable, but, and it's a big but, it crashes frequently. I've got a higher-end-of-mid-range PC and haven't tinkered with the graphics settings at all, just left it on auto, and I consistently get the B(lack)SOD on map changes, and crashes when in vehicles. Other than that I get a constant high framerate and no stuttering whatsoever. Partly that's presumably down to ATI (seeing as the Nvidia beta driver fixes it for them), but it's a really poor show (and I fully appreciate that they're pushing boundaries with the graphics) to release a game that has a recurring problem for a large number of users (we can further rule out overheating, memory issues, etc. because it started happening in the SP every time I got past a certain cut-scene until I reinstalled).

So I'll be playing MW, at least until there's a patch, and probably longer anyway. It's also worth noting that the multiplayer in MW3 has actually been significantly rejigged (the way that perks work, kill confirmed, the path for weapon unlocks, Elite, etc.).

2. Stu
      Alert

@Kaned

I wholeheartedly agree,

Not that El-Reg is a games review site or anything, so I don't take it at all at heart, but 90% for this but 85% for BF3!? Not a chance in hell.

COD has bored me to tears for years, scripted nonsense, even with the 3D rendering instead of playing a video for you, its still a modern version of Dragons Lair, with just a little more interactivity, and should be left for the lesser expectations of the PS3 and XBox generation prepared to pay the extortionate prices (I paid £31 for my DVD copy of BF3).

For me, BF3, being designed FOR PC, works just brilliantly on my system (4 years old, but with an upgrade to a GTX550Ti card) and am over the moon that they didn't start developing it for the consoles.

Even the reply comments about it crashing (of which I haven't experienced) shouldn't change opinions as to its sheer superiority over MW3, patches will come, extensions will come, the game will reign superior! ;-)

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

So

It sounds like a kitsch comedy then? Does it also have canned laughter bursts for the hard of thinking?

Oh, and

"We're all content to sit back and watch Jack Bauer save the world in ever more implausible ways in 24"

Speak for yourself, please...

4. A. Lewis
    Thumb Up

Good stuff. I'm looking forward to my copy arriving.

This review raises a good point. I think it's perfectly alright for this game to re-tread well-trodden ground, if it's doing it so well. The question is of course when this stops becoming acceptable?

It's a completely different medium, but the general public, and me certainly, seem to be tiring of cinema's endless repeats, re-imaginings and (as the hateful term goes) 'reboots'.

When might this happen for games? Or specifically, this series?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Meh

Don't care about this (or BF3), it's just more generic crap.

Uncharted 3 is where it's at.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Uncharted

Lara Croft with testicles.

2. Stef 4
      Flame

Charlie? Is that you?

Uncharted is fine for the interactive movie that it is. But for a quick stress releasing bout of "Murder the Foreigner" you can't beat the MW franchise.

I love the Battlefield series (Well, not 2142 obviously) for its teamwork when I have time to play, and MW for the quick action.

I must finish Uncharted 3 in time for Skyrim.

1. Citizen Kaned

why really?

many people think bf2142 was the best in the series. much better than bc1 & bc2 and more FUN than bf2.

did you even play it? it wasnt all future laser pistols like many think. it also had the best teamwork ive seen in ANY BF game (this includes bf3 & 2)

uncharted is a great game though

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Interactive Movie?

What are you on about?

There is nothing movie like about the multi-player. The game modes are the best of any game right now (I love the co-op personally).

The single player has some movie sequences sure, but 99% of it's nothing like you describe. Have you ever played an Uncharted game?

6. stu 4

PC version

Just picked it up. Installed BF3 at the weekend on the 2011 27" imac - runs a treat. Pretty jaw dropping graphics. So figured I'd get the set.

Be nice if El Reg would review the PC versions sometimes... what with your readership - I'd have thought there are probably more PC gamers here than on most forums (admittedly we are outnumbered by the thumb twidlers still)

1. YP
      FAIL

How many times...

do they have to say, they review the copies given to them, simples. Don't blame el Reg for not reviewing PC versions, blame the distributors.

7. windywoo

The usual crap then.

MWs online component will be dross aimed at twitchers who run a mile at the thought of having to wait longer than ten second s for their next frag, and don't particularly want to aim.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

dross?

full on action more like, its" BF whatever" that gets dross, waiting for vehicles and travelling miles just to get sniped and start again.

8. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

mw3 no thanks

sorry but i first started with call of duty on xbox 360 with mw then moved to mw2 and waw. i then moved away from xbox to ps3 and never looked back for ps3 i bought mw2 back and then also bought black ops but i traided that in cause it caused my ps3 to keep locking up almost busting it. what makes mw3 any different to the previous ones. the graphics are more a less the same and people are stupid to pay 45 pounds for it its not worth it man. and people who pay for the hardend edition where you get more goodies and costs roughly 60 80 quid are even more dumb and stupid. and what i cant understand how come it gets a 90% rating on the register and bf3 only gets 85% even though bf3 has better graphics i dont get that.

1. Chris 244
      Coat

MW no thanks

I stopped playing after COD2!

9. Scott Broukell
    Thumb Up

still playing ....

... Half Life 1, with just the crowbar !

10. E 2

Never having played any MW

It looks like it's worth a try. Only thing that bothers me is that Russia does not have enough ships to invade Vancouver Island, never mind the continental United States.

1. Ministry of Truth

I played MW2 for the very first time a few weeks ago cause it was on offer on steam.

I've always been massively cynical about the whole thing, but I was completely blown away by the game and the story and the involvement that you get - even in those cut scenes.

Since ploughed through MW and BO, both of which were also very good, and looking forward to the next one.

If you want a few hours of entertainment then give it a go.

I won't bother with the online play to be honest, I don't get the time for that sort of shit

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

old gamer, waiting for...

Half-Life 3 ...

I'm so jaded with FPS gaming, this release just sailed by me (apart from this comment, which will get voted down)

I kinda stopped FPS gaming and most gaming in general, with two exceptions - anything Valve release and any GTA title which Rockstar release. (oh - and minecraft)

After being a gamer for ... shit, 32 years? ... I'm a redundant old school gamer resting on past glories and completely missing the point - I'll admit that.

But Portal2 ? Shit, blew my mind, such an awesome game. GTA San Andreas and to a lesser extent, GTA IV also just made me feel like a young gamer again - like the first time I played Doom and the time my mind was shattered by Quake I and Quakeworld!

I tried MW2 and it left me cold, I kept thinking "where's the humour? I've been here before, haven't I? - Oh yes, the original COD, I remember now"

I recently made a big mistake and bought Id Software's RAGE - played for 30 minutes and was completely uninspired by it.

So, vote me down, this old man who was schooled in the art of gaming in the arcades, shooting blips on a screen - I've lost touch with gaming ... except for Portal2 and GTA - hell YEAH!

I'll get my coat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like