back to article Hackers crack PlayStation 3 hardware, again

Sony's hacking headaches continued today with claims that a new PlayStation jailbreak USB dongle is about to flood the market. According to Eurogamer's Digital Foundry blog, the threat of piracy is set to plague Sony again, as there is now a dongle available in Indonesia that allows users to bypass the console's security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

LOL Fail

You need to still be on 3.55 firmware and can't play online using this hack.

So no, the console hasn't been hacked at all, infact nothing has changed since before, and the fact still remains, the piracy rate on the PS3 is the lowest of all systems, despite having the best games.

1. PostmanPat
      Facepalm

Nope nope nope

I just watched the video and it's legit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQjauNpQj34

2. The Grinning Duck
    Paris Hilton

Stupid question, but I'm a bit confused.

If you don't connect your console to the internet, and so never download system updates, does this stop you from installing games to your HDD, or does the required update come on the newer game disks? Is this the same with the xbox360?

I always assumed (because it rather annoyingly never actually tells me what the update is doing) that the updates were either non essential GUI tweaks or patches related to online play for games. I never even considered the anti-piracy angle. The reason I ask is that I've just bought a second 360 to put in the spare room to play games which, by virtue of breaking a 'no visible cables in the living room' rule, annoy the hell out of the other half, namely driving games that I use a wheel with. I had (and have) no intention of wiring that room, or console to the network but not being able to install games to the HDD would be most annoying as the 'new' console is a second hand Elite which makes more noise than is acceptable in polite society when running games from the DVD.

3. DragonKin37
    Go

If you want to play

Older games with a 1TB Hard Drive to install the games, and if u want to do some Dev work i guess this is fine. Although one of the PS3 strengths is PSN, if someone wants to use a system with one of its legs cut off. It will still work fine just at a hobbles pace.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like