back to article YouTube ships movie rental service to UK

YouTube has brought its movie rental service across the pond to Blighty. The website now offers over 1000 full-length films to stream, from golden oldies like Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and Weird Science to new releases such as Hanna and Fast Five. Youtube Movie rentals The majority of flicks cost either £2.50 or £3.50 for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wang N Staines

You can get most of those on DVD for around 1.99 each.

2. Arrrggghh-otron

Over priced...

Why are all these half arsed streaming services so over priced?

Crap selection and cost more than renting the disc from Blockbusters (or as mentioned already can be bought in the bargain bin for).

3. batfastad
    Go

I like this! I've been waiting for something like this for a while as I don't want to have to pay a monthly subscription to LoveFilm etc. A pay as you go service to just pay yer money and stream a film is a good thing. Now they just need to expand the range of films available to ones that aren't pants.

It has the big advantage that you can completely avoid the hoi polloi by not going to your local generic high street and not buying a DVD from one of the generic high street shops!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent! I've been using BlinkBox a lot recently so it'll be nice to have a bit of competition :)

And I've tried LoveFilm but their website sucks, and the video quality was pretty rubbish compared to a BlinkBox download at the same price.

From a brief click around it looks like most videos are at 480 (DVD) quality, but hopefully we'll get some HD content eventually...

5. Pete the not so great
    Thumb Down

to mucking futch

Not many films either, Virgin Media charge about 4 quid

6. Captain Hogwash
    Thumb Up

Tarkovsky's Solaris - for free!

What's not to like?

7. Lyndon Hills 1
    Thumb Up

Price levels

Revolver is free. That's about right.

8. Alan 43
    Thumb Down

what if your youtube account is banned?

Just wondering what google`s strartegy is. My YouTube account was `permanently disbaled` about 5 years ago with the login email linked to my current gmail account (and seemingly not able to unlink them). Now of course it is easy enough to set up a new email and youtube account using that - but seeing as my Google+ and facebook and website email accounts are linked into Gmail I`m not sure I could be bothered signing out of gmail everytime i wanted to go to youtube and watch a video - not very helpful with their google+ social netwrk either I should think - seeing as nearly all the content that was on my banned youtube account is now available on youtube by the content producers is there any point to their `bans`?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ideal service

One should be able to search for any content (audio, video, whatever), be offered a range of prices from various providers, select what one wants then listen / watch / whatever accordingly.

At the moment the best approximation to such service is NOT available in any one place supported by copyright holders. Hmm, do I sense a gap in the market that is about to be filled, or is all this stuff already available, just without the owners on board?

Maybe we should all just wait and not consume anything until it's all sorted out?

I certainly can't be arsed to waddle down to my local dvd rental parlour of an evening and read the back of the box to see what's available - err no signal on the phone, gotta go outside to "bing" the title or whatever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like