back to article Nokia punts cheapo NFC dev kit

Desperate to spur interest in Near Field Communications, Nokia is flogging an NFC development kit with a C7 and two dozen tags for €180, or about half the cost of a C7. It's not for everyone: the company was keen to remind us that the offer is only open to members of the Nokia Developer Launchpad programme. Membership of that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RobE
    Happy

How about using these as office doors openers so you can track actual time in and out of the office. Im sure some big co's would love this as their time reporting wouldnt be as screwed up

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Symbian is very much optional

NFC support is provided via Qt (Qt Mobility), so you could write full NFC apps without ever needing to look at Symbian APIs.

Away from the hoo-ha of the "OS wars", Nokia are consolidating their own platforms around Qt, so Symbian is rapidly becoming "the stuff that runs Qt for you behind the scenes".. eventually, it and the feature-phone Series 40 will go away, replaced by a single stripped-down Linux OS (Nokia's "Meltemi" project is apparently this OS, and not Windows Phone as previously thought) with Qt as the primary API.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Angel

I'm still waiting for my free E7

Or apparently they sussed that signing up as a developer on the same day the press release went out wasn't a coincidence.

1. BXL

You are not going to get one if you haven't got it by now

Got mine within a few weeks of the announcement. Also, not just any developers will get the free phones, only the ones on the pro development programmes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not so cheap after all!

You wrote that << Nokia is flogging an NFC development kit with a C7 and two dozen tags for €180, or about half the cost of a C7. >>

Well, €180 comes to $245, and looking at the T-Mobile USA website, the same phone (branded "Nokia Astound") has a suggested retail price of $249.99. Not nearly half the cost, then. Rather a mere $5 discount for the good developers.

I realize that the C7 may be found at a higher price on Amazon, but surely it is in T-Mobile's interest to inflate the "suggest retail price" before rebates, and thus I expect that the C7 can be found at close to the suggested retail price without searching for too long.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, that's quite a lot of cash for an OS which is being dumped, so you can play with NFC.

Nokia have actually dabbled with NFC a few time. I remember a snap on shell they made for the 5140 in 2004, and a set of libraries to talk to it. It worked quite well. Their business model however revolved round them being in the loop for every RFID lookup, so they were able to bill you on a number of items scanned basis. Needless to say this idea never moved the device beyond developer playtime.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like