back to article Wales says no to outing Wikipedia users on Facebook

Wikipedia is not planning to link into the new Facebook Open Graph, network co-founder James Wales says, since it is “slightly weird and creepy.” In an interview with the Huffington Post, Wales said that the site isn’t interested in signing up for Facebook’s Like buttons or similar software from social networking sites like …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For all his faults ..

Whether real or imagined, Jimbo is a million percent right on this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jimbo Wales, voice of sanity?!?

Whatever next?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah!

Soon they'll be releasing that Duke Nukem Forev... oh fuck.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I should fucking hope not either.

4. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Flame

Social media and Wickedpedophile?

What a surprise, the cabal at Wickedpedophile don't want to share stuff with Facebook. Is this really news? The typical Wikifiddler looks a little like this: http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/12/23/david_gerard.jpg and wears a tin foil hat and pants to protect their privacy despite nobody really being in the least bit interested in their sad little lives. I suspect most of them aren't on Facebook anyway because they couldn't be early adopters (FB started in Universities) and they can't acquire super user admin powers by being pedantic little gobshites.

I really don't think Wickedpedophile's inner pentangle really has any idea of how the web works any more.

1. Steven Roper
      FAIL

Well, Mr Vociferous Time Waster

since you so casually dismiss the concerns of those of us who are actually concerned about the abuse of our private information, and since nobody cares about your little life, perhaps you'd care to put your money where your mouth is and share with us:

Your real name

Your address of residence

Your phone number

The name, address and phone number of your employer, and your position

Your credit card number, name, expiry date and CVV

Your date of birth

A link to a hi resolution (at least 360 dpi) image of your driver's licence, passport, and last tax return.

Sorry, what? That's none of our business you say? Then STFU and think about what you're saying next time.

2. Notas Badoff
      Trollface

Boo!

And what will be *your* Halloween costume this year? A sour lemon?

There are so many untold stories behind some peoples' interactions and infractions at WP... perhaps you'll write an autobiography... nah, you'd probably not want to publish it... those dealing in secrets dislike that I hear.

3. heyrick Silver badge
      FAIL

@ TVTW

Whatever you're smoking, put it away. It's harmful.

There is a lot more I could say, but I'm on work break, using a touch screen phone, and frankly can't be assed, so I'll let the icon speak for me.

4. Mme.Mynkoff
      Thumb Up

Probably the best description of Wikipedia I've read here

The VTW is spot-on.

Of course the self-important little trolls want POWER but not ACCOUNTABILITY.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

44 down to 5 up?

What's the record?

5. Shannon Jacobs
    Big Brother

Which country do you want to live in? Wikipedialand?

Starting with the old joke:

In the USA, everything that is not prohibited by law is permitted.

In Germany, everything that is not permitted by law is prohibited.

In Russia, everything is prohibited, even if permitted by law.

In France, everything is permitted, even if prohibited by law.

In Switzerland, everything that is not prohibited by law is obligatory.

I think Facebook and LinkedIn started out like France and has moved to limbo. From looking over Google+, I think they started with a German model, which is actually much closer to how I want my personal information to be handled, so long as I make MY laws. The problem with Google+ is the appropriate ontology for my friends.

1. Just Thinking

Yes, what has happened to LinkedIn? Currently when I log in I get to see that someone I have never heard of has updated their profile image.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The sooner

other non FB sites adopt this policy the better we will all be.

Facebook is a slow ,malignant cancer, eating away at our privacy and freedom of choice.

Some operators will soon wonder why thery are seeing subscriptions drop and they will, eventually, realise that having a "Like this: Share it with everybody on facebook" is NOT a good idea and will actively discourage the growing band of facebook haters (like me) away and to pastures new!!!!!!

1. T.a.f.T.
      Go

On a similar vein when will ElReg let us "Share this Comment" like they do with articles?

7. JakeyC

"Wales says no to outing Wikipedia users on Facebook"

What, the whole country?

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One of the web's useful bits of shorthand - anyone who uses the word "deletionist" is actually saying "I tried to upload a Wikipedia article about myself".

The guy commenting in the linked article to say "I was worried that if my Wikipedia article was deleted I'd actually vanish into thin air" was probably trying to be post-modern, but it sounds more like he is massively insecure.

9. Harry

Some intelligence at last

Hopefully, it will become infectious and companies worldwide will start dropping unnecessary third-party-hosted material from their sites.

10. Mike Cresswell
    Joke

@Shannon Jacobs

Liked your comment but you forgot one :-)

In Italy, everything is permitted, especially if prohibited by law.

11. Svein Skogen
    WTF?

Facebook (and their ilk) and blocking

seriously. Are there ANY sane people out there who HASN'T added facebook (and all their other junk domains) to their adblock setup?

//Svien

12. peyton?

Makes sense for two reasons

As Jimbo says: privacy. But to me, more significant is that on Wikipedia, I could "like" and article, then someone can come along and edit it. Who knows if I would still like it after that? It's hardly the same as liking a news article, where the content is generally static. (not that I actually bother with 'liking' things at all :p )

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they were offering money

If they were offering money, Jimbo might do it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like