back to article Place your data centre in a handy container

Data centres are a big capital expense. A 10,000 sq ft data centre designed to last 15 or 20 years costs about $33m, so you have to think about it a lot more carefully than you do about buying a server or a piece of software. The churn is faster with IT gear and the power density is also increasing as companies try to cram …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. glennog 1
    FAIL

Seriously behind the times

OMG Seriously? This is news? Capgemini did a modular data centre in Swindon aaaaages ago, and they got the PUE down to 1.04. C'mon El Reg, I expect more from you than this clearly sucking-up-to-the-guys-paying-for-the-banner type of news-that-isn't-news.

2. cocknee
    FAIL

oh ye of short memories

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/17/sun_data/

Wait for the Oracle patent laywers to spot this one, lets face it if Apple can claim a shape as a patent...............

3. Shaun 2
    WTF?

C130?

Since when can you fit five containers in a C130?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. AceRimmer
      FAIL

eh?

The racks are delivering power to the servers

The rating (44KW) refers to the maximum amount of power that the electrical systems built into the rack can handle

2. Kirbini
      FAIL

Double Huh?

Reading comprehension fail.

Just so you know, datacenters, which this article is about, deliver power to racks. Computers in those racks then USE that power. Strange but true. The quote you used simply states that new datacenter designs are capable of delivering much more power to a given rack than the old designs. This is good because newer computers need more power in a given bit of space.

But perhaps English is not your first language so all is forgiven.

5. Matt Bucknall
    Facepalm

Sorry

Didn't take in what it was saying properly. What can I say? I'm tired.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one thing seriously overlooked

Is the ability to back a truck up to the cube, forcably lift it onto the truck, and drive away.

Besides, the telco's have been doing this for many years with portable CO's and the US Air Force did it back in the 70's only they used railroad cars.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like