back to article World telly shipments stall

It wouldn't be fair to say World+Dog isn't buying new tellies at the moment, but numbers from market watcher DisplaySearch show it's still a depressing businesses to be in. Some 55.5m TVs shipped in Q2 2011, down - albeit by just a single percentage point - on Q2 2010's total. Sales of all types of TV were down with one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A J Stiles
    Joke

Obvious explanation

That'll be something to do with the exchange rate of the inch versus the centimetre, then.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Well of course tele sales are down

those who looted one in the riots don't need to buy one as well

3. MJI Silver badge

Perhap we all now have TVs

And don't need a new one.

And I still have a few years warranteee on mine!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Philips

Where are they ? Dead ? 21:9 and Ambilight not dragging in the punters ?

Samsung way ahead of Sony and Panasonic. I guess Korea's economy is doing better than Japans.

5. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Meh

Ah well

we have no compulsive new technology at the moment. 3-DTV has not caught on, and most people either already have, don't really care or don't know about HD.

What we have here is a down-swing compared to a previous up-swing caused by LCD TVs. People could see that an LCD TV occupies less space for a larger screen, can be wall mounted, and uses less electricity than a CRT, but do many of them care that LED is better than CFL for the back-light? And the current ultra-slim tellies are not that much slimmer than the 2-3 inches of the last generation in the scale of a living room. People are realising that, as long as it works, their two year old telly is still adequate for watching Coronation Street, the Simpsons, or Mythbusters.

Are we, at last, seeing a return to a domestic consumer electronics market that is not dominated by hype and the need for the latest shiny things? I sincerely hope so.

1. druck Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Ah Well

"but do many of them care that LED is better than CFL for the back-light?"

Any that have compared the two?

6. Yet Another Commentard

Buying TVs

There could be a sudden deluge of them on e-bay. Boxed, as new, slight fire/riot damage to packaging.

At least it makes a bit of space in the channel for new ones...

7. Monty Burns

Shock horror!

Do you mean the general public are actually wise enough to realise 3d is just a gimmick to try to get us to replace perfectly good flatscreens with the same that can also do 3d!? Well I never......

My LE46 will be staying for some more years yet before I replace it and if I do, it won't be 3d driven unless the tech improves, a LOT.

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

3D or not 3D. That is the question

With hollywood and the TV set makers pushing 3D as hard as they could for the past year has been IMHO a complete flop.

The last disney film in 3D flopped. More people have seen Pirates 4 in 2D than in 3D.

People are not buying 3D TV or watching 3D films at the multiples becasue in these financially conatrained times they are luxuries they can do without.

The BBC's Film critic (Mark Kermode) did a wonderful rant on the subject on last night's culture show.

iMax Yes please.

3D No way Jose.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

3D is the killer..

If I was in the market for a TV I wouldn't want a 3D one at all. I would see it as paying a premium for a feature I do not want and would never use. Worse that that (for TV Manufactures) is that a lot of less technical people think that a 3D tv is just that.. it only does 3D. I'm certain my parents would think "We don't want a 3D picture, we just want a normal TV".

Manufactures need to drop 3D as a headline selling feature, include it in the sets if you must, but remove the 3D moniker in the name.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like