back to article Security watchers question supposed Facebook hack

Reported plans by Anonymous to attack Facebook on 5 November appear to be an elaborate hoax by an unknown source. A manifesto urging net users to "kill Facebook for the sake of your own privacy" was posted on a newly created YouTube channel, FacebookOp, on 16 July. The video features the robotic voice familiar from previous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

"during the quietest phase of the annual news cycle"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous -vs- Facebook

If anybody bothers to look at the text that goes with the video, it clearly invites others to destroy facebook. Since no single person has the ability to destroy facebook, I think everybody needs to considder the spirit behind the post instead of trying to apply every word to it by exact definition (english language does not work that way).

Clearly there is an intention to launch a denial of service attack on facebook, but I do not think it will have any serious impact, as the number of people that get on facebook already greatly outnumbers the number of computers that could attack them.

Let's also not forget that Anonymous are not interested in harming people, but in protecting freedom and such an attack would protect freedom, but in an unusual way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

I'd like to have the freedom to use Facebook

And destroying Facebook does this how, exactly?

3. Nell Hansen
    Black Helicopters

Bah

You don't announce an attack on a target ahead of time, unless it's to distract to the real target of the attack.

...or maybe you do announce it to bluff the real target into thinking that someone else is the real target, because no one is crazy enough to announce an attack THAT far ahead.

... or maybe it's just someone inside of Facebook stirring up publicity. Anyone up for a good old-fashioned false-flag op?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous

If you don't know who posted it, then it would indeed be considered Anonymous

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

You know Anonymous isn't a real oganization, right?

At least not in the sense that they have a hierarchy or official an position on anything. Just because plan didn't catch on doesn't mean it was a hoax, it just means most Anonymous "members" didn't like the idea.

6. Ben Rosenthal

thanks

thanks for the concern, but I can decide myself whether I want to use FB or not.

Now get off the computer and tidy that bedroom!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like