back to article Evil '666' auto-whaler tool is even eviler than it seems

Hackers have created a fake tool especially designed to exploit the laziness of the most clueless and unskilled phishing fraudsters. The fake tool poses as a utility that scours the net for fraudulent sites and pilfers any login credentials that victims might have entered, making them available to crooks who had nothing to do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

You have to admire them

They have identified a market. Think about it - say 10^8 phishing emails get sent out, 10^5 have some success, 10^3 have some real success - it's been a great deal of work. Whoever is doing this has identified a prime opportunity to use someone else's hard work and grab the dosh. And they don't deserve it anyway in any moral way.

Must be applauded (in some sense).

2. Andy Farley
    Thumb Up

The gag

Surely gets even funnier then? Presuming any funniness at all, natch.

3. Trollslayer
    Thumb Up

Biter...

Bit!

4. Charles 9

Balaclava-clad terrorist...

Was the balaclava in question RED and worn by a Frenchman? Wondering because it seems there are more gaming connections there than El Reg may have realized at first.

5. Paul RND*1000
    Coffee/keyboard

*splutter*

"a humorously confusing mess of bad people hitting each other in the face with bricks"

That mental image just made my day a whole lot more fun. Thank you! :)

6. laird cummings
    Thumb Up

Karma.

It's got teeth.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

I'm sure.....

That I should feel sorry for some party involved in or affected by this pernicious bit of software, but for the life of me I cannot figure out who this party is.

1. Tom 13

That would be the one guy affected by all this

who isn't phishing someone else - the guy who now has his credentials in the hands of 3 to 5 phishers. Although there is the distinct possibility he was trying to scam someone too.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

The "Chopper" Reid business model.

Why steal from honest people (most of whom don't have *that* much money) when you steal from dishonest people who are likely to have more (and have a lot more trouble going to the police).

9. Magani
    Linux

Auto-whaler

And here's me expecting some device that would help the Japanese with their 'Cetacean Research' in the Southern Ocean

Penguin, 'cos they live in the Southern Ocean too.

10. nyelvmark
    FAIL

It's much easier to steal from thieves

...because it's always easy to steal from people who believe in "get rich quick". That's how the shell game and 'find the lady' work.

I don't see much future in this, though, because if your marks aren't making money, then how can you steal it?

1. Dan Beshear
      Pint

well ...

Easy, 1 for you and 99 for me. If you give the thief 1% of the data instead of 100%, how are they going to know they're getting ganked?

11. Nigel 11
    Pint

Nothing new under the sun

Big fleas have little fleas,

Upon their backs to bite 'em,

And little fleas have lesser fleas,

and so, ad infinitum.

And the great fleas, themselves, in turn

Have greater fleas to go on;

While these again have greater still,

And greater still, and so on.

12. skeptical i
    Pirate

You may be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond, ...

... but chances are you're just in a bigger fish.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like