back to article TalkTalk watchdog smackdown after ad complaint

The Advertising Standards Authority has upheld a complaint brought by BT against TalkTalk for exaggerating savings claims it made in a TV ad. It said TalkTalk had misled viewers of the advert by overstating the savings that customers might achieve. The regulator said the ad's on-screen declaration that punters could "Save …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Purlieu

Whatever next

An ISP overstating ...............

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

BT's adverts

I wish someone would pull BT up on their wifi adverts. Their technology means that it avoids all the problems with radio interference - bollocks. They use the same tech as everyone else otherwise it wouldn't be compatible.

1. Anonymous IV

@AC 1213

Chance for you to complain directly to the ASA?

2. Colin Miller

auto channel swap

IIRC,

BT's new homehubs automatically scan the WiFi channels looking for least congested one, and then swap to it. Presumably they can only auto-swap when there are no connected devices (or they are all idle).

Since most folks with WiFi don't know that the default channel is likely to to get congested, this is an advantage for BT.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I shall wait a while

And see if I can pick up one of those ingenious boxes, second hand. It's how I got my current ASDL/Router/WiFi with a BT badge. (I use an ethernet cable for my main PC)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd hazard a guess here

But they're referring to the fact the homehub will automatically avoid congested channels, is it possible they are the only ISP who supply a router that does this?

3. Alex 14
    WTF?

Eh

"The regulator said the ad's on-screen declaration that punters could "Save over £140" was "surrounded by numerous question marks", but...it was not clear that this was a question rather than a claim."

I guess I'd need to see the offending footage but I distinctly remember learning in school that a question mark marks a question. Indeed, the clue is in the name of the punctuation. I'd have thought that text surrounded by numerous question marks would leave little room for misinterpretation that the text was, in fact, a question...

4. Alan 6

No punishment

I always wonder about these ASA rulings where they say adverts cannot be shown in this form anymore.

The rulings are almost always long after the promotion has ended, so the advert won't be shown again...

5. Tom 35

smackdown?

Hardly. Not even a slap with a wet noodle.

6. SkippyBing

To be fair to Talk Talk

I am saving over £140 a year having switched to them from BT.

However I did turn down all the optional extras they offer on the grounds I only use the phone line for the broadband connection and no longer have an actual phone connected to it. If I hadn't I'd probably be saving about £5 a year...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

bt router

if you go in to the setting of the router and set it to auto, most router i have used will look for a fee channel or channel that has little congestion. or default to there programed channel.

bt routers a abit shite anyway.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge
    WTF?

For real congestion avoidance....

Switch to 5GHz

My ancient linksys WRT55AG has channel hopping on the A band.

As does a slighly less ancient Netgear DG834PN

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like