back to article Dell considers Google+ for video customer support

Dell is mulling over direct engagement with prospective customers via Google+, and judging by the feedback from some corners it could do with upping its existing pre- and post-sales support. The social networking tool is now more than three weeks old and has over 10 million users on-board, including Dell chief Michael Dell. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Antony King
    WTF?

And the point is?

If I'm calling Dell, it's because my computer has failed. If my computer is working well enough to make a video call over the internet, then it hasn't failed.

For application support it might be worth while - provided you can send the desktop rather than a mugshot of an angry customer.

1. Levente Szileszky

RE: And the point is...

...not your broken laptop but ENTERPRISE SUPPORT, D'OH.

It could be a great tool along Webex - and with a lot less issue than Webex -, when one does not have to describe what he's seeing on a failing SAN or server but simply point the webcam and show it. I'd certainly welcome it.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Mushroom

Hmm, I can see why.

The latest extension to the World Wide Wait seems to be an interminable period on many sites waiting for something called "quickbutton" to be served from some POS dying on its arse called "plusone.google.com".

That level of response should fit nicely into Dell's customer support organisation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Will it improve their warranty support?

I spent an hour on the phone failing to convince a representative that replacing a monitor which had an S-Video input with one that hasn't was a downgrade not an upgrade. And also that the warranty should last the promised 3 years after I purchased it, the time they insisted they had documentation that I had purchased it, was 6 months before I got the credit card I bought it from.

A friend is having problems because of an operating system failure, and they won't provide re-installation media.

I think a call to trading standards is the answer for both of us.

I have stopped recommending Dell when asked.

1. Levente Szileszky
      IT Angle

RE: Will it improve their warranty support?

Yeah, consumer support is always a hit or miss with all brands except perhaps Lenovo and maybe Sony - but their enterprise (premium) support is reliable, trust me.

4. gratou
    Paris Hilton

HR

Same old: the myth that investing in fancy tech will replace investing in good, trained staff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like