back to article Microsoft copies Google, kills home energy-meter project

Microsoft is retiring its free web-based household energy usage service, which means it won't leave its beta status and instead will be killed on 31 May 2012. The project, dubbed Hohm, is just two years old. But like Google's PowerMeter, which was billed as a home-electricity-consumption cloud service that only launched in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GraphiteCube
    WTF?

"Anything you can't do, we can't do better"?

Isn't discontinuing a seldom used product normal? And it is BETA only. I don't see anything wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

title

"Isn't discontinuing a seldom used product normal? And it is BETA only. I don't see anything wrong."

So why WTF? The article doesn't say there is anything wrong. This leads me to the conclusion that the title and tagline have confused you. If that is in fact the case, well, I don't know what to suggest.

Perhaps a pint will help?

2. JC 2
    Facepalm

A Possible Reason

One possible reason why there was such low interest is that nobody has ever heard of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title

Heard of what?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Sure people have heard of it.

They just couldn't work out how to pronounce it.

Someone at MS was being too clever by half.

3. James Woods

title

Im assuming they aren't killing it sooner because they hope government may force people into using the technology. If government can force us to buy other things why not?

I would just love to see all the energy usage and carbon emissions these silicon valley companies have consumed through the years.

When google, microsoft, and all these other brain trusts were starting up energy wasn't as efficient as it is today. With less powerful computers more equipment was needed to do the same tasks that alot less equipment does today.

As a homeowner and also business owner I would love to know every aspect of my energy consumption so that I could make adjustments to save money. People aren't interested in this crap because government and corporate america want in your home to do the opposite.

They are all holier than thou now that they've all benefited through the years with tax breaks, outsourcing, and political donations.

4. cloudgazer
    Thumb Up

classic reg headline

Sometimes article quality at El Reg is a bit spotty but you guys still have the best headline writers in the business!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like