back to article Samsung names date for UK 10in Android tablet release

Brits will get their hands on Samsung's 10in tablet, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, in early August, the South Korean giant said today. Get one and you'll have a 10.1in, 1280 x 800 glossy touchscreen tablet that's just 8.6mm thick in your hands. It'll run Android 3.1 Honeycomb. Samsung Galaxy Tab Other specs include 2.4GHz and 5GHz …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Robson Silver badge

kitchen cupboard material...

required, and must contain letters.

2. Scott Thomson
    Facepalm

802.11m??

Shirly you must mean 802.11n?

1. frank ly
      Happy

Maybe...

... It's their way of saying 'pre-n'?

3. technohead95

Can't wait

6 weeks is not a long time to wait for this. I'm looking really forward to it. Only question is whether I wait a bit more for the 8.9 as it seems like it's exactly the same spec except for the physical screen size. Even the resolution is the same. Therefore, the 8.9 would be a little more portable and have a crisper display due to the higher pixel density. If I do wait and solid news comes out about quad core Tegra 3, then I may wait even more just to get a quad core tablet (not because of the extra power but because the Tegra 3 will be much lower power and hence have better battery life. It will also have better video/audio codec support).

Anyway, I'm a patient person so time will tell.

4. manwithnoname
    Thumb Up

Worth the wait...

Its about fraking time

5. John Latham

Hardware buttons

Both Galaxy S and original Galaxy Tab are nice enough devices to use except for the lack of physical buttons for back, home and menu. The ergonomics of the under-glass buttons are awful.

Also, for reasons best known to Samsung, the bundled media streaming app works great on the S but is absolutely godawfully dismal on the Tab, a later device. Third party apps have come along though - uPnPlay and Moboplayer work well at pulling video from my ReadyNAS.

Also, glossy screens must die. Both Galaxy Tab and Xoom are almost unusable anywhere near a window, or (god forbid) outside.

1. Daf L

Glossy Screen

Yes, totally agree about the screens. Sure glossy gives better colours and contrast but I wish just one manufacturer would launch a true matte screen device that I could use outside.

Just a choice to have it matte without needing to resort to alternatives such as a screen cover, which just aren't the same.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. tmTM

Worth the wait???

As the Tegra 3 chips are due out soon it'd probably be worth holding fire till a tablet packing one of those is released, it'll be a far better chip for powering a tablet than the current Tegra2.

I think Samsung have taken too long to get this to market, the markets already full of similar spec'd competitors which have had their product on the shelf for some time.

8. Niall
    Unhappy

But I want it NOW

Seriously considering importing this from the US.

9. N13L5
    Facepalm

so sick of stupid tablets taking all the news... wish we could get back to more laptop reporting

sure a tablet... great as a glorified remote control on my couch table?

I guess I'm not addicted enough to drag one around to read the news in the subway.

Since its been pointed out in numberous places that they're not really good for most productivity chores, they're a consumption device.

Sure you can add a Bluetooth keyboard, with its own little annoying batteries..

I'd actually nail a tablet to the wall in my cafe as an audio player feeding my active speakers

but otherwise, I can't understand why people like these, onscreen keyboards still suck and probably will always suck. You can't touch type, meaning you'll be slower than a snail doing anything...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like