back to article Microsoft cites 'security' for TechNet suspension

Confused about why your subscription to Microsoft's TechNet has been suspended? So is Microsoft, judging by the experience of one Reg reader. Our reader, who wished to remain anonymous, has been in touch to say how his TechNet account was abruptly suspended without warning by Microsoft. The reason given by Microsoft when he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. William Boyle

Just another reason

Just another reason why I no longer purchase Microsoft products. All my systems run Linux, and I only run an old copy of XP in a virtual machine when I have to do something with MS cruft, like restore backup data from XP of my daughter's since her new Win7 system cannot restore XP backup images and her old XP system died a cruel death (disc failure).

1. Rob Moir

ranting

Sounds more like another reason for a Linux fanatic to rant about how evil windows is to me. It isn't like your complaint has any relationship with the article.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Me too

Microsoft Muppets have done the same to me. I paid a renewal fee only a week ago and then bang it stops working - 6 weeks before expiration of the original subscription. They 'cannot refund my renewal fee until the matter is resolved' which surely must be illegal - I haven't received the service.

Perhaps the suspicious activity was that I renewed.

Maybe this is an upsell push to get people onto the much more expensive MSDN subscription (although technically I can only use TechNet as MSDN has different use allowances http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/dd362338.aspx and working with 3rd party applications would be illegal in MSDN).

I am awaiting a response to the smelly email I sent them before I call the credit card company, trading standards, the Press and my mum (waaaaaah).

AC until it is resolved grrrr

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Go

Well...

....giving an apology and subscription extension sounds legit.

Microsoft _is_ improving.

1. G2
      WTF?

re: Well...

are you serious?

an apology and and extension means nothing when you just lost tens of thousands of euros because a customer has just walked away when you couldn't do your job because of microsoft's stupidity.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really compensation

The extension was only really to cover the time for which I was locked out of my account rather than being a good will gesture.

4. Big-nosed Pengie

Who sups with the Devil

must use a long spoon.

Tr: If you use MS products you have to eat their bullshit and call it chocolate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The point of this ramble was?

Jeez I don't like MS much, but this article seems a a bit pointless to me? All this dirge just for one user out of hundreds of thousands who had his MS TechNet account suspended?! What next a 6 page article about a bloke who got kicked off an IRC channel for 30 mins for writing the word "f**k" against the channel rules?!

1. Tomato42
      Thumb Down

No journalism here

It's not like they contacted MS... oh, wait.

And they didn't dismiss the case, they just refused to disclose the details.

6. TeeCee Gold badge

Easy one.

The majority of the bent Win 7 versions out there are Technet license keys.

Your account is compromised, a large number of keys are generated, MS spot the problem and suspend the account to invalidate the keys.

Rule of thumb: If your apparently vanilla copy of Win 7 came with Ingram Micro shrink wrapping, it's almost certainly bent. Check the license sticker security strip with a magnifying glass......

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      FAIL

MS should be hammered over this

Why the on going problem of "fake installations"?

Why don't they make the install CD (sorry, DVD now!) free to download and then charge for activating it when the user first tries to use it?

Would also get rid of the irritation of "MS tax" on new PCs as you would pay for MS separately, should you want to keep it.

1. Mike Dimmick
        Facepalm

Discs are already unprotected

You can use any Windows 7 disc with any product key. If you install with no key you get a free 30-day trial of whichever edition you select - they are all on the same disc. All of the authentication of product edition and entitlement is in the key.

Obviously this means that if the key is leaked, MS gets no revenue from that installation.

Their activation system - which is required - knows about illegitimate keys, and I would imagine that repeated activations of the same key in different parts of the world would be flagged up. So their logic goes either 1) you must have distributed the keys or 2) someone else hacked into your account and did so. Possibility 3) is that someone has actually figured out how the product and edition is encoded into the key and is generating their own, and happened to collide with the keys issued to this account.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Trollface

More to the point...

Ah yes "Your account is compromised"

By what I wonder, MS security again?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I had the same but got a free subscription from them....

My Subscription was also "cancelled" a few weeks before expiration. I wasted no time and emailed staright to Gordon Fraiser (Microsoft UK MD) and promised to take the matter to the Small Claims Court for Breach of Contract.

Before i know senior people from Microsoft were falling over backwards and i had a 30 min conversation with two senior people from Microsoft who called me up regarding this. In the end it turned out because i travel to two other countries for my business and take Hyper-V images which are switched on in thoes countries the contacts i am alive software ping that goes with ANY microsoft product back to Microsoft HQ was telling them that two products were being used outside the UK.

I ended up getting another years technet subscription for free to not take the matter to court. But basically they switched on thier detection systems on Technet and are reciving a lot of false positives.

But if you have done nothing wrong with your technet and they suspend it, this is a Breach of Contact and hence you have the right to request for compensation or take the matter to the Small Claims Court. Legally Microsoft should speak to you before they suspend your account (as this is considered cancelling the contract), so if you are 100% sure you did nothing wrong, and have had your contract cancelled/suspended, i suggest a suitably worded letter to the Microsodt UK MD.

1. Pseu Donyme

This sounds like

... using TOR (for one reason or another :) could trigger this: a piece MS-ware calling home might appear to be in a variety of locations all over the world if/when they look at the exit node IPs.

8. thegreyrabbit

(Ex)Terminated me as well last week

The same happened to me over a week ago. I suspect it is because I am regulalrly travelling to Canada and Germany - as I had done the days before - and/or I sometimes use VPN when travelling.

I called support and they immediately switched to their scripted blabla (security of my account). They filed it for review and I am still waiting. Guess, I will be more forceful....

9. kyle elliott
    FAIL

Make it another one

They suspended mine almost 2 weeks ago as well. I called in and they claimed it was due to "piracy" when I know for a fact that I had not been distributing any of the materials off it. They did end up reinstating it a week and a half later, but offered no apology nor did they give me a credit for the time it was out of service. I have had the last 3 months of it going down for the entirety of a Sunday every week, with no details on why so I expected it to be once again down for Sunday until Monday rolls around and it says that the subscription is canceled. Ended up delaying a testing phase that I needed for me to try to sell a customer forefront, and may end up costing us that sale as it places us at the end of the bidding cycle, if we make it in time.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Suspended for security reasons

"For your own health and safety..."

Well, they have a point: it *is* healthy and safer not to use MS products.

However, if your business depends on them, then this high-handedness must be an utter piss off.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like