back to article OnLive cloud-gaming on UK horizon in Q3

After a successful first year in the US, cloud-based game service OnLive is finally heading to the UK this autumn. Customers with fast internet connections will be able to stream games such as Borderlands and Prince of Persia straight to their computer or TV set, no download required. OnLive's UK page now shows a countdown …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton 1
    FAIL

You forgot

You forgot to mention it's exclusivly distributed by BT, who will either tank the whole think or charge a fortune for the heavy data use, assuming their ADSL network can even cope.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I might be wrong here, but...

Unless I'm much mistaken, BT are the only ones allowed to distribute OnLive as part of their own bundles, but the OnLive hardware will be available to buy and use for anyone on any provider, except that they'll have to buy it as a standalone product (e.g. off OnLive's website or from a high-street retailer, if it becomes available there).

I can't remember where I read that, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost 100% certain that anyone can buy and use the service, just not bundled with any internet package that doesn't come from BT.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good move

Had one of their micro consoles for a few weeks now and it is a great product. Works great in the UK despite the data centre being in the US (got it on a special offer via work)

Eats up the GB though....

3. Alex 14
    Thumb Up

Woo!

I was the biggest naysayer about OnLive when it looked like a pie in the sky idea that required various breakages of the laws of physics. Then the demos turned out to be almost half-playable in the UK using their datacentres in the US. I'm looking forward to it being streamable without an ocean in the way.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Pirate

Google probably has its eyes on this.

Cloud based gaming is something that will work exceedingly well with their ongoing 1GB to the household plans and global network.

Spend a bit of your petty cash and buy OnLive Google. Buy,buy.... !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like