back to article MongoDB daddy: My baby beats Google BigTable

After a decade as chief technology officer at DoubleClick – the internet ad giant he cofounded in 1995 – Dwight Merriman set out to build a "platform cloud" along the lines of Google App Engine or Microsoft Azure. But this was before people called them platform clouds, before anyone knew about App Engine or Azure. It was late …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MongoDB is web scale

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6995033/mongo-db-is-web-scale

Nuff said.

1. David Dawson
      Go

Wow, thats amazing

The rant at 2:30 is fab.

Fwiw, I quite like mongodb. but yeah, the point is well made.

2. K. Adams
    Boffin

"... acknowledged that MongoDB isn't the only NoSQL that uses a document-oriented model."

I'm surprised Lotus Notes/Domino wasn't mentioned in the article, at least where "document-oriented" database storage models are concerned.

The Lotus Notes NSF ("Notes Storage Format," or "Notes Storage Facility," depending on whom you ask) database architecture, where records are stored as variable-length document objects that support OOP-like features such as object inheritance has only been around for, what, almost 18 years now? (This time span is based on the year in which Lotus Notes R3 -- which is often regarded as the first "modern" incarnation of Lotus Notes -- was released: 1994.)

OK, so maybe Notes/Domino NSF databases won't scale to the limits envisioned by the creators of MongoDB and CouchDB, the the root ideas behind the technology are anything but new...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

probably because

using Notes is the biggest brainfuck ever

2. Mike VandeVelde
      Megaphone

My thoughts exactly. "CouchDB is the other obvious example"...

...which was written by a Lotus Notes guy, and borrows a lot from the .nsf data store - probably the main non-relational database in the world, for the past couple of decades. Would that have been so hard?

Freedom from the restrictions of relational databases is a major attraction of Lotus Notes (or a major pitfall if you don't figure out what you are doing).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

"So the documents are be pretty rich."

Why are Merriman and the MongoDB folks pirates?

Because they ARRRRRR!

4. Jay 2
    Coat

Candygram for Mongo!

Sorry, couldn't resist, as mere mention of Mongo reminds me of Blazing Saddles...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like