back to article Amazon-Android rumor: A family of devices

Amazon has long been readying Android tablets, but rumours have emerged that the e-book giant is readying an “entire family” of Android devices for America’s upcoming holiday shopping season. Rather than a single tablet, the Android and Me blog is speculating that there will be devices in several form factors – including a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sentient
    WTF?

Add Alert?

So you get adds from google at the bottom of the screen and adds from amazon at the top?

Not really something I am waiting for.

1. ThomH

If the Kindle experience is anything to go by...

... Amazon adverts are served only if you've accepted a subsidised device. And given the work Amazon will have had to do in isolation due to Honeycomb being temporarily closed source, I'd expect them to have cut out the Google ads even if it means sending all the normal Google apps with them.

2. James Hughes 1

I can see this happening

The Kindle is pretty good (I've got one, I like it), and the infrastructure behind it works fine. As long as they ensure new product is of the same standard and as well priced as the Kindle, this would be a good idea.

3. Syren Baran
    Linux

Hiring spree?

Sure explains why Lab126 send a job offer after ordering "weird" books from Amazon.

4. ThomH

Very exciting if true

With Honeycomb being closed source, I guess this'll be a fork in many respects — so there's a sense in which it'll add fragmentation to the Android world, but I'd expect that Amazon won't market these as 'Android' devices and won't officially support anything other than their own store so hopefully the issue will be moot. I expect they won't have done anything dramatic with the underneath APIs either, so falling back into line at some point shouldn't be hard.

Amazon are the only company I can think of that can largely match Apple's content collection (probably the same amount of music and movies, more books and magazines, fewer apps, but the latter feels easier to fix if the devices are successful), while having a good direct-to-the-customer relationship and a fantastic retail infrastructure. If you're looking for someone other than Apple to launch a single prominent consumer device, then Amazon is your best bet. If the news is true, my money's on tablets being a two horse race, not between Apple and the field of Android players but between Apple and Amazon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like