back to article Desktop options today

Tomorrow's desktop is mobile. It's a phone, a smart device of some sort, a laptop - and there will of course be some fixed PCs in there too. But enterprises already need to cater for an increasing proportion of mobile workers, and that proportion is set to grow. The challenge is not just how to deliver enterprise-level …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

All good in theory except when it fails

Having worked in an environment where desktops were replaced with thin clients I can verify that this sales pitch is complete bollocks. Having to have a rack server and thin client per user results in a higher machine cost. Poor setup management means that when something goes wrong with a machine and it requires a hard restart this can sometimes take hours in machine locating. With all computing VDI traffic now on the network for thousands of computers network administrators will enforce a high compression on the video transmission which results in a much degraded and pixelated video resolution which degrades user experience and most likely breaks work health & safety guidelines.

2. dognolegs

Wishful thinking?

You say "But enterprises already need to cater for an increasing proportion of mobile workers, and that proportion is set to grow.", but can you link to any literature on the subject? I don't see the proportion of mobile users increasing vastly in my industry (I.T.), and the use of laptops has adequately catered to this segment , but I do agree (somewhat backhandedly) that current technologies provide the ability to push I.T. services to the client base in a targeted way, although cost of implementation is a grey area.

This topic is closed for new posts.