back to article Intel's vPro biz chips cross Sandy Bridge

The vPro line of Core chips for business-class desktop PCs launched today, and Intel is working on extending vPro to upcoming laptops and workstations, too. The vPro iterations of Intel's Core family of processors have extra goodies that businesses will pay a premium for, such as enhanced security features. Intel also hopes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Linux

I'm sorry Dave. I can't allow that

I see that you are in Iran.

(Dave has just powered on his laptop and connected it to the Cabin WiFi. He's flying from Germany to India.)

The Microsoft & Intel have decreed that this device cannot be used inside Iran. The CPU, Memory and the Hard Disk will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Thank you for buying Microsoft Windows and Intel. Designed to keep your data out of the hands of those pesky Iranians. Have a nice day.

Poof.....

I couldn't resist this one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPS nitpick

Sinds GPS generally stands for a particular satellite based positioning system and is actually global whereas mobile infrastructure based location divining isn't*, could we perhaps not confuse "GPS" with cellular positioning systems? CPS, CNPS, MPS, MNPS, you name it. Just not GPS because it's neither global nor using the GPSystem.

* It doesn't work at sea, for one. Yes, if your laptop gets lost at sea trying to turn it off by SMS message is probably fairly futile anyway. I am nitpicking about the use of the term GPS though, not about texting at sea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

KVM in a chip.

Nice. Though not very scriptable. Sometimes it really is simpler to glue (electrically, sheesh) a serial port on and make sure the bios is workable over that, perhaps using the old trusty CLI, like how openboot does it. Expect scripts instead of paying a PFY to click on things remotely.

Now that we have that anyway and no longer get serial ports, can I use this the other way around too then, dual-use the laptop as a kvm for servers even if they don't have kvm goodies baked into the chip? No? How disappointing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like