back to article Egypt back online

Egypt is returning to the internet even though protests are continuing in Cairo and other cities. President Hosni Mubarak said yesterday he would not seek re-election but would step down in September. Whether this represents the compromise protestors were looking for or a sign of weakness which will encourage them remains to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul_Murphy

Seems obvious then.

>so far the mosques have played a more important role than Twitter or Facebook in

>organising Egyptian reform

So shut them down .. and then stop people talking to each other .. or writing letters .. or writing in diaries .. or whatever else those pesky people will think of next.

Honestly - I can just imagine Mubarak doing an impersonation of Hitler in his bunker 'what do you mean they are still talking to each other!!!'

The more that the glorious leaders try to squeeze a population, the harder the population will fight to free themselves.

As a famous plastic toy said: "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force!"

And I hope other leaders around the world are taking notes and learning that lesson.

ttfn

2. ravenviz Silver badge
    Alert

As far as I know

with the current situation Mubarak would have to walk to the airport due to road blocks. But then if he did that he might not get there....

3. Naughtyhorse

t'internet

in t'egypt...

smashing :-)

^garlic bread?^

4. LaeMing

Govt. drinks cool-aid on importance of internet.

Don't get me wrong, the internet is important. But obviously not important enough that shutting it down has any real effect on quelling public unrest. I imagine the the thought-stream went something like:

"That new-tech internet thing is allowing people to express discontent."

"Lets shut it down, then people will stop because it is only the power of the internet driving the discontent."

"Oh, the people are still discontented, but now we look foolish as well."

The internet is a tool - a very powerful one. But if you take away my hammer, I will just go find half a brick to drive the nails in with.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like