back to article Microsoft to hire 4,000 in UK

Microsoft has pledged to create 4,000 new jobs in the UK, with the bulk of them to be reached through apprenticeships. "In 2011, Microsoft expects its Britain Works programme to generate 4,000 new jobs, in addition to the 9,000 new jobs created since launch in 2009," said Microsoft UK's managing director Gordon Frazer in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Olleson
    Stop

A sign of Microsoft retail expansion

It seems unlikely that the that the apprenticeship scheme being toted here is going to appropriate for training staff in R&D (they'd surely offer sponsorships for university undergrads or postgrads for this), so does this signal an expansion in Microsoft's retail operation?

The fact that other employers in this scheme are predominantly retailers bears this out.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Linux

You may find this a curious fact, but....

....it is not absolutely essential to have a degree to perform good work.

GJC

1. Charles Manning

Agreed

There are far more ways to get educated than university or school.

But MS have a history of perverting what words mean. An MS apprentice could just be someone being taught to use Word and Outlook at an evening class.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It's about time

...that there was real investment into apprenticeships and college training, i.e. vocational, rather than sending waves of kids on to uni where most of them have more than enough time on their hands to waste on being in the boozer (I know from experience).

I am not convinced the condem govt has handled the uni situation well with regards to funding, they would have been better off being honest and simply saying that there will be no increase in overall uni places and that there should instead be a steady decline and a re-introduction of entrance exams rather than the current nonsense.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Create?

So offering temporarily free software via BizSpark qualifies as a quantifiable way of creating jobs?

4. Magnus_Pym

Clarify?

A Microsoft spokeswoman attempted to clarify Frazer's statement, telling ZDNet UK that "4,000 full-time jobs will be created by Microsoft through apprenticeships, which will result in full-time paid employment in a new job, and through the [Microsoft] BizSpark scheme, which helps software start-ups succeed."

So 'x' apprenticeships and 'y' people starting their own businesses where x+y = 4000. Good news but I bet x is much smaller than y.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Epic

Awesome news. After you lose your professional job of 20 years in the public sector you will be saved by the shelf stacking, trolley collecting, call centre answering jobs pledged to pick up the slack. Woo.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

BizSparks

So they are going to sell developers subscriptions and claim that these startups were jobs they created?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

yeah

but as usual none of these new jobs are advertised anywhere so the people who actually need them still won't get them. you can't expect people to read minds.

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

So that's...

A few thousand low paid tech jobs for IT apprentices, but thousands more low paid, low skill opportunities to be trained to stack shelves, flog tat, and flip burgers.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Unhappy

Well its better than nothing

and the horrors of daytime tv

2. FoolD
      Gates Horns

The Devil is in the detail

One could argue that stacking shelves, flogging tat and flipping burgers is more useful to society than diversity co-ordinators, surplus middle-managment drones and all the other public sector non-jobs created under the last government.

The real test is whether or not it is those workers that are the ones finding themselves being out of a job and retrained or if it is skilled front-line workers that are (effectively wasting the valuable training and experience they have).

9. yossarianuk
    Gates Horns

Would you like fries with that?

Might as well work in McDonalds - you'll have more self respect and have the added bonus of not being a Ballmer Minion .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Horns

Not to mention...

How many times do you hear:

"This deep fat fryer isn't working"

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

?

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Happy

Confused

Are we still talking about Ballmer or McDonalds here?!

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Microsoft Britain Works campaign scheme vouchers not available

Apparently, Microsoft which is plugging the Britain Works campaign has expired vouchers that were part of the scheme. Just contacted the Microsoft Britain Works campaign team and they say the vouchers scheme has been stopped. These vouchers provide access to training.

So how is this apprenticeship training going to work?

Don't know if this is just a PR exercise ?

Anyone know....

11. Zebulebu

Jobs created by Microsoft?

I'm willing to bet a substantial sum that not a single one of them will really be employed by Microsoft (who only have about 500 actual employees). Yet more bullshit from a company looking for tax exemptions, lower business rates or other favourable treatment from a government delighted to stick it's arsehole in the air and get penetrated.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Low paid is better than nothing at least they get a start

British Corporate and Government IT is now dominated by on-shored staff, can't remember the last time I saw a UK graduate being taken on, if this works at least we'll have some UK based staff for when the outsourcers raise their prices or decide there's more money to be had elsewhere.

1. Lionel Baden
      Thumb Down

oh do please STFU

Low Paid is better than Nothing ??

Try telling that to a young family. I have been earning 21k for the past 3 years and have just sunk lower and lower into debt over that period.

I was made redundant just before Christmas, and I am now on the dole. I am earning more money sitting on my ass all day day than I did in a Job.

We have a third child on the way and once born we will then be given a council house most likely 3 bedroom with garden and parking which will will also have the option to buy.

Job = More and more debt and renting for life.

No Job = House + money.

Don't get me wrong i want to work, otherwise my life will end prematurely by the hands of my wife.

But i cannot survive on less than 23k. 25 when the baby arrives

What i really want is more benefits for family's working on low wage. Why the hell should people on the dole have more money than us.

Don't even bother saying my wife should go get a job its not worth it by a long shot.

13. RossW
    Thumb Down

What crap

What a bunch of bollocks.

Microsoft UK displays some of the worst HR behaviours & policies in the UK.

In addition to the 80-odd staff Microsoft UK laid off in 2009, Microsoft is still "constructively" dismissing additional staff.

Ask any current Microsoft UK employee whether they received a merit increase for FY 2010 or

whether staff who performed their duties adequately were re-categorised as "underperformed" during their performance review and are being managed out of the company.

None of this makes the news as those unfortunate employees who have been laid off are forced to sign legal agreements preventing them from exercising their legal rights or from speaking to the press.

If Microsoft UK were to create 4000 positions, that would more than double the current number of employees !

What absolute bollocks !

14. Dibbles
    Thumb Down

Shame....

...that they had to lay off quite so many people to 'create' these new jobs, eh?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like