back to article Basic security housekeeping vital, says GCHQ boss

GCHQ's director has said that 80 per cent of the government's cyber security vulnerabilities can be solved through good information assurance. Iain Lobban, the director of the signals intelligence and information security organisation, said if government departments observed basic network security disciplines, such as "keeping …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Towel. In. Thrown.

How bad is security in IT when the nation's leading "professional" curtain-twitcher and gossip-monger comes out with such a statement.

Is security and privacy such a joke that GCHQ is embarrassed at the lack of challenge in their jobs? After a couple of centuries that have seen technology allow an unprecedented level of snooping (by both government and private agents), were both the technology to violate our privacy and protect it have been equally frowned upon, why suddenly now do the spooks want us to make their life harder?

A Bluff? A Double bluff? Or bullshit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

How bad?

ROFLMAO

You have no frikin idea just how bad.

Even if I could put into words just how ridiculous things are you'd think I was making it up

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Unhappy

Really

"GCHQ's director has said that 80 per cent of the government's cyber security vulnerabilities can be solved through good information assurance."

Let's start with making gov and corp individuals accountable for our data going missing? At the moment fear of data-loss for most IT users is down the list, level with the fear of a zebra coming out of the sky and flattening them.

To put it bluntly, it's not my stuff so why should I give a monkey's if it gets lost!

1. Dave Bell

Low flying zebras

We really ought to have the t-shirt.

2. Scotty 3

To be fair

Not sure that's fair. As usual for these things, there might be well meaning individuals and systematic failures. From what I have seen of governments, the typical one is that 'do nothing/make no decision' is not regarded properly as a risk, making a decision is.

3. David 39
    FAIL

ermz

The GCHQ boss also warned that as the government puts more of its services online, the public increasingly expects services to be completely secure.

Not really, I've expected my information to be secure

4. The Other Steve
    Happy

GCHQ

ALL YR TXT MSG R BLNG 2US

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

GCHQ Bling ....... in Virtual Treasure Storage for Self Actualisation

Ladies, Hi, ..... and Good Morning, Gentlemen,

I am of the opinion that AI Realised Asymmetric Force with Virtual Remote, Invisible and Intangible, Control of Cyber Commands, with SMARTer NEUKLearer HyperRadioProActive Driver Operating Systems, dDelivers Overwhelmingly Significant Absolute Advantage in All Grand Mastering and Mentoring Theatres of Great Game Play ...... and Neuro-LinguistICQ ProgramMING.

Virtual Terrain Team Territory Benefits the Bold and the Brave and the Bountiful and Provides Live Operational Virtual Environments for IT Presentation [Virtual Realisation] of Immaculate Dreams.

And that is One Mother of a Knock Out Weapon System which renders Machines as just the Toys of AIRTraffic Cyber Space Controllers.

Which is surely the sort of Information that Intelligence should be Providing All with ...... not least so that All Move On Together at a renewed and revitalised space basedD pace, rather than Renegage Rogue Pilots racing off into the Unknown Alone to File a Real Estate Claim in a Virtual Program that Leads with Truly SMART AIMedia Programming .... into Sublimely IntelAIgent Shows ..... which is also a Great Plan. :-)

The SurReal Nature of this Missive and ITs Effectiveness in Delivering Master Pilot Drivering Support and Logistics to Present Participant Future Subsequent Parties, is a Novel Link in its Chains of Command, and provides a Transparent Security Blanket for Cloaking Facilities and Virtual Operations.

Quantum Communications BetaTest#XSSXXXX1010130640

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/OtherContactForms/ContactMilitaryAviationAuthority.htm

[Your form will now be processed by the appropriate team and we will respond to you within 20 working days..... http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/Response/MilitaryAviationAuthorityEnquiryThankYou.htm] ...... Wow, that's ages in a Flash society.

And this is AIRelative .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11528371

5. JaitcH
    FAIL

Another government joker!

Three digits sums up the British governments commitment to security.

I E 6

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like