back to article Apple tinkering with subs-based iTunes service, says report

Apple is reportedly talking with big name record labels to provide a subscription-based music service that will give unlimited access to songs for a monthly fee. According to the New York Post, which cites several unnamed sources, the company's iTunes boss Eddy Cue has already spoken with music labels about how such a service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

More renting of your own property to you?

Subs for a radio service? Sure.

But what happens to the collection of tracks on your computer when you stop paying the sub?

Yeah, thanks but I'll stick with going to a shop and buying a CD. Call me old fashioned if you like, my music collection is not dependant on some untrusted 3rd party's servers not going pop or deciding to make my (yes, MY) tracks disappear down the memory hole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't this exactly what the Zune Pass is?

Isn't this pretty much what the Spotify service is, with the convenience of being able to put any tracks you want on iPod (sadly I doubt that it'll be open to other players) without needing a data connection or any other kind of signal for that matter? You can have your CD's. I've been buying my (DRM free) music online for quite some time and making a saving both financially and environmentally in the process, and if the iTunes offering is decent, I'll give it a go.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Go

It isn't either/or

I use Spotify (and Pirate Bay, and others....) to listen to tracks, and if I like them I buy the album on physical CD. They are complementary, not competing.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Dear Reg please join up your writing

and link this neatly to the story about Apple putting the scares on spotify. I know its Friday afternoon but have your brains gone to the pub already.

3. DJ 2
    Pint

Apple tinkering with subs-based iTunes service

With all the talk over Britian's second Aircraft carrier, my imediate thought was; that is a novel way to get around the RIAA.

It's beertime

4. Dave 120
    WTF?

Fear them..but love us

So apple scares the music industry by saying that streaming services like spotify might harm record sales... then plans a service just like spotify? Riiiiight.

5. Gil Grissum
    Grenade

Apple subscription service

No thanks. I'm not paying Apple for any subscription service of any kind. Never owned an iPod and don't own and iPad or iPhone. Pandora works fine on my Palm Pre Plus, thanks.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Just like ISps, Mobile Telcos and other liars

"will give unlimited access to songs for a monthly fee"

"Apple is supposedly still working out how much music would be included"

Just how long does it take to decide the size of 'unlimited'?????/////QuestionQuestion

This topic is closed for new posts.