back to article Street View spooked by 10 Rillington Place?

Until now, we at El Reg have assumed that Google's Street View spymobiles are as fearless as they are all-seeing, but it appears this may not be entirely true. We direct readers to strange and somewhat spooky goings-on at 10 Rillington Place - the infamous west London house where between 1943 and 1953 John Reginald Halliday …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fun fact

When police were searching the house they failed to spot a human thigh bone propping up a bird table in the garden.

2. Thomas 18
    FAIL

discourage those Rillington Place tourists who actually know where the real site is

Damn, now I'm going to have to go drive there instead of just zooming through google maps to see what it looks like.

1. Dave Cradle

No you won't.

Not a chance in hell.

3. blackworx
    Coat

Interesting...

Apart from the Street View bit! I was seriously expecting a mysterious black hole or some spooky wavy dream-o-vision to be going on.

Well-contrived two page story though. Bit slow today??

4. thesykes

or...

it could just be that Google drivers can't be bothered with driving down small offshoots? The road on which I live is also missed by the Googlers, and I can just see my house in the distance as they drove past the end of the road.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not so

I live at the end of a small road which is marked as private: they got all the way down and snapped away so you could easily see my house. At least, until I got them to remove it again

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Someone, somewhere...

Has FAR to much time on their hands.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inspired to conduct my own ghoulish Googletours

I can report that the corner of Cherry and Washington in San Francisco, site of the Zodiac Killer's best-documented murder, is fully accessible to the Streetview tourist at http://bit.ly/aBkNey as is the former site of Fred West's House Of Horrors, 25 Cromwell Street in Gloucester, at http://bit.ly/9NgxIe

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What would you do?

A simpler explanation... the Streetview driver stepped on the gas as the iPhone 'asbo-romoter'/'murder-romoter' applications went off the scale... thus the gap?

8. f1rest0rm
    Thumb Up

Excellent

A proper piece of Friday work ....

9. Tim #3

Nice video

Wonder what the odds were of one of the workers being another casualty of that street.

Kinda good that they flattened the place though, the number of souvenir hunters etc it would attract would be pretty grim. I know Fred & Rose's pad was flattened too (probably in order to make certain they have found everyone) , are there any mass murderers homes left standing?

1. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge
      FAIL

Yep

My old place is...

Bollocks. That's torn it.

10. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Alien

Mysterious Google Street View Vortex

Seems to be a few of these about. I encountered one trying to go down Parkway in Camden a few weeks ago. Shunted around in an infinite loop until I gave up. No link as Street View is crashing my browser these days ;-)

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

Shudder

That was one creepy movie that.

Eeek.

12. John I'm only dancing
    Black Helicopters

Cromwell Street, Gloucester

One surefire way to see if was a glitch or has had the same Google treatment, is to go to Fred West's now demolished house which was at number 25.

1. paulf
      Terminator

God is present!!

Looks like its now a 7th day adventist church now and the google-mobile stops right outside.

Clearly our Google overlords find Gloucester serial killers less scary than the London ones!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cromwell+street,+gloucester&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cromwell+St,+Gloucester+GL1+1RE,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.861967,-2.243271&spn=0.000505,0.001637&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.86189,-2.243334&panoid=4qTvBoAQYREcHMB5TjIOgw&cbp=12,294.1,,0,16.27

Note address says number 28, but just to the right is number 27 on the "odds" side of the road.

1. Handle already taken
        WTF?

A church??

I think you need to take 2 steps left...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cromwell+street,+gloucester&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cromwell+St,+Gloucester+GL1+1RE,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.861711,-2.24348&panoid=WdKYJDkGlJG-KqnvGd2VsA&cbp=12,339.1,,0,16.27&ll=51.8618,-2.243408&spn=0.000541,0.00142&z=20

2. Tim #3

HE is next door

Fred and Rose's old place is now the walkway with the gardens and bollards, adjacent to the church. It's not somewhere to wander around on a dark night, I suspect.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's next door to the site of No 25

famously, the house was demolished once the forensic examination had finished and it was felt inappropriate to rebuild, so the site was turned into a pathway with a small public garden dedicated to the victims. You can see this from Streetview, where the bollards are next to the church

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

London is spooky

Or it must be full of spooky bits. I keep coming across roads on street view that aren't mapped or where clicking forward takes you to the arse end of somewhere else. And there was me thinking the weird stuff was just weird stuff.

Stick with giant flying pliers... please?

14. Elmer Phud
    Pint

Protection

What's needed is the Googlemobile to re-visit but with a priest riding shotgun.

I'd suggest Father Jack Hackett as he'd scare the shits out of any ghosties. I hate to think what he'd do to evil spirits.

1. paulf
      Pint

DRINK!

He'd probably drink the evil spirits?

Pint again - hey its Friday

15. JB
    Happy

1970s Health and Safety

Loved that film clip. Oh for the days when a flat cap afforded protection from flying masonry. I suppose builders in caps have gone the same way as those red and white-striped tents you used to see at road works, where you would probably find the workers drinking tea.

And how soul-destroying must it have been for that reporter that he was still working on the newsreels in 1970, when all his more savvy journo friends had gone over to the new-fangled tele-vision.

16. ratfox
    Black Helicopters

Most probably...

The current owners asked that the picture be removed...

Ah, who I am kidding. OF COURSE there is an international conspiracy behind this!

17. Ricky H
    Stop

parking enforcement officer...

...further up the road where google teleports you to is Mr Jobsworth writing a ticket for what looks like a .gov.uk Ford Transit van.

18. Gavin Jamie
    Big Brother

Twisting passages, all alike

Central Manchester is the same. Streetview pictures and maps bear no relation to each other and you are sent through portals all over the place. Impossible to make any progress from some locations.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like