back to article Loons speak brains on gov Treasury crowdsource site

In the least shocking news of the day, it appears that the government's latest internet loon-magnet is attracting an awful lot of lunatics. The Treasury's Spending Challenge site was supposed to be a way for the great British public to create a wonder-Wiki of savings ideas for the coalition government. There's no denying it is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Downside
    FAIL

Better than B3TA

Thanks so much for that website - it's a complete laugh!

But is is set up by the government? Seriously? If so, this country is in serious trouble; we are being run by retards.

2. Gordon is not a Moron

Just wondering if

the Daily Wail has managed to link it's own festering hate-filled mesage boards directly to the government sites.

1. guybles
      Megaphone

Tagging

Thoughtfully, some bright spark has already started labelling various suggestions (using the term in the losest possible sense) with the "daily mail" tag:

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/@@search?Subject=daily%20mail

Makes it a lot easier to identify the people with rabid mouth froth.

Interesting just how many involve the word "immigrant". I think I can already hear the strains of Tomorrow Belongs To Me...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Public or Pubic or Publc

It is a stupid and cheap way to give a false sense of democracy whilst quietly wrecking publc services

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

a

Seriously Oats, stop copying and pasting your articles from the Daily Mail. Normally you are better than this.

You (like them) fail to mention that although there are a lot of terrible ideas, those ideas are mostly being discussed rationally and either have very low votes or many comments saying how bad an idea it is.

What would you rather have? A board where the public can submit their ideas for moderation but only those that will definitely be done are approved for discussion or should they just not bother even trying anything new and stick to the old Labour ways? Ignoring everyone and giving all our cash to scum or spending it on new CEOP databases. I guess at least that would keep you whining reporters in jobs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

*giggles*

The "Your Freedom" website has cannabis back on the tag cloud. Huh. Surprisingly (unlike the posters) the ideas aren't half-baked: Legalise, Tax, Regulate with the added bonus of ridding the legal high market of it's business.

*reaches for smoking jacket... i think there's a lighter in here somewhere... rummages*

6. blackworx
    Badgers

Your Freedom

I love the fact that the YF site is supposed to be about suggesting laws we want to be rid of and yet instead it seems to be full to the brim with suggestions for new ones.

Proof, if ever it was needed, that we really do do it to ourselves.

Hehe, I said doodoo. Snigger.

1. Number6

Laws and Freedom

I think there are only two laws worth adding - the first limits the number of laws allowed, so that once it's reached they have to scrap an old one to add a new one, the second is to put a best-before-date on all legislation, so that after 5/10/20 years it expires unless debated and approved for an extension by both Houses of Parliament. This would eventually achieve the first aim, when they're spending all their time renewing old laws and don't have time to create new ones.

7. breakfast Silver badge
    Go

One way to save money...

Rather than working with real end users why not just pipe the output from the Twat-O-Tron straight into the input for the site? Same content, much time and effort saved.

That said, the bigotry is only about half the content - there's a lot of middle class pocket-lining as well and a few very well reasoned discussions. Interestingly you'll surprisingly often find a thought-through and interesting argument behind a title that sounds like it's going to be the wildest rantings of a boggle-eyed red-faced foaming lunatic.

8. Simplepieman
    Pint

Here's one suggestion that might just work...

Found one suggestion that seems to be reasonably sane if not a little optimistic:

Competitive Innovation - pay several smaller IT companies to demo system solutions and choose from the best instead of paying the "big four" (5, shurely?) £30m a pop

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/adopt-a-competitive-innovation-approach-to-most-major-it-systems-contracts/idea-view

So if we all vote this one up the gov can still ignore it since everyone knows the Tory party just like the last government are all bankrolled by big biz and there's too much dosh at stake for them to lose...

9. The Mysterious Panda
    Paris Hilton

Already taken some down

...like the one suggesting open access to bukkake sessions with the Queen...

Paris, just... because.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Already taken some down

This is begging to be said

>open access to bukkake sessions with the Queen

Which queen? I'm sure there must be quite a few who wouldn't be greatly opposed to the idea.

10. David McMahon
    Alert

Employ Crocodiles in immigration offices!

Has to be my favourite! :)

Sounds like a sketch show, genius!

11. John Greenwood 1

Serious or pisstake?

Can't work out if some of these are genuine fucktards thinking they are sensible suggestions, or (hopefully) people just taking the piss.

The best 2 posted in the last 5 minutes:

Sponsorship or Advertising on Army Tanks

The Poster lesliecowe thoughtfully mentions that "Obviously any advert needs to be vetted so that it doesn't offend Muslim sensibilities." and the implementation suggestion that "Graphics will need resistance to combat conditions"

But greatest idea so far:

Blair/Brown/Mandy cage fight on pay per view

12. Rogerborg

Might as well get our money's worth

The search is down, but I did like the motions to repeal the laws of gravity and thermodynamics.

Note that doing so would be marginally less difficult than an Ordinary Decent Briton managing to remain aware of all the laws that are currently in effect, and their practical interpretation by the various incarnations of the State.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

@rogerborg et al

Please ask Ordinary Decent Briton, currently waiting for results of his GCSEs, to describe laws of gravity and thermodynamics. :-) Relatively speaking, it's not an e = mcc issue, (and _that's_ probably a cricket question on this year's syllabus)

Seriously, surely "loon shall talk sh*t unto loon" is better than "local council shall interpret anti-terrorism legislation to spy on parents who want the best for their kids" ? Also, it's a better use of money than "nation shall spend £12bn on Richard s - sorry, on consultants - to run NHS IT project that the professionals have been able to see for years was going to be a screw-up"

This topic is closed for new posts.