back to article EU Commission plans 'umbrella' data protection deal with US

The European Commission has opened negotiations with the US on the creation of a data protection agreement that would govern all data transfers between the EU and the US. Commissioner for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship Viviane Reding told The Atlantic Council in Washington that the negotiation of separate deals on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We laugh at your puny data protection plans

Recall that this is the USoA government, that shining beacon of freedom that bravely spies on its own citizens wholesale, retroactively OKing everything that was "technically" completely outside what is permitted by law. As in, on the next continent, maybe.

Rules are well and good but the EU will just have to trust these examples of governmental integrity they will abide by the EU's oh so reasonable rules. Suppose gov.us doesn't, then what? Some international court perhaps? Or diplomatic reciprocity?

A more pathetic show of incompetently spinning a show of vague hope you'll be hard pressed to find outside Brussel, or it'd have to be in Strasbourgh. Carry on European Government! Bis bis! What a success these measures are! More please!

2. MinionZero
    WTF?

This is utter madness...

@"EU data protection law states that personal data must only leave Europe if it is protected as well as it would be within Europe." and "high data protection standards"

That statement about protected is meaningless considering the number of data leaks we have seen in Europe. Also and far more importantly talking about protection on the data is totally missing the point that they are sending too much data out, like all our banking records. Protection on the data format isn't protection on what data they send out, yet the morons in government seem to believe it is and so fail to see how much of our data is being sent out. They think its protected!. (At least thats the double speak they are trying to convince us to believe ... yes its protected see (well only the format is protected, what data they leak isn't, yet they want us to think everything is ok, go to sleep now, Big Brother is watching over you!).

Plus without any doubt at all, this leaking of so much information will be used for industrial espionage. Protection of America also means financial protection of America and so they use their spooks for industrial espionage, but they don't even need to now, as we just download all our data to them now!

@"The US would feel the benefits immediately"

WTF!! about EU feeling the benefits!! ... Its all so one sided. Why the hell are America not releasing their banking data to Europe. I know why, its because American civil rights prevents America doing to its own people what they are getting away with doing to Europeans! ... plus they wouldn't want their data leaked the way we have to suffer it being leaked, yet they expect us to just leak our data to them and its all done in the name of the endless perpetual war against Terrorism which is a blank cheque way to totally erode all our civil liberties, in the name of safety from fear!

3. heyrick Silver badge

"The EU and the US are both committed to the protection of personal data and privacy, "

One word: Bollocks.

4. Steven Knox
    Unhappy

And so...

member states' ability to enter into international treaties is eroding. Not long now before you're the USE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not so

I don't think we'll ever be the "USE". The model we're heading towards is a monolithic state, in which the individual ex-nations will have less autonomy than individual States do in the US. It will be a poor approximation to the US system.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Reding should be shot for treason.

"The European Commission has opened negotiations with the US on the creation of a data protection agreement that would govern all data transfers between the EU and the US."

In plain English: Reding gives away everything EU has dug up of their citizens and US does nothing. "all data transfers" so far has been unidirectional and Reding is the idiot who tries to claim otherwise.

Shoot her, for treason. Because that this "agreement" is (technically will be, but Reding has already signed a blank agreement text for all of us in soviet europa in her wish to give US everything to ask, including her ass. And everybody elses.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Data Protection!?!?!?!

Pardon me for being naive, but I thought that data protection meant that no one can disclose information about me to a third party without my express permission.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, it's OK for government to do this, as it's "for my own good"! In this case NOT my government, as it's the EU, so that's OK then. We're all OK.

Pheeww!!!!

Paris, 'cause she gives a toss better than governments!

This topic is closed for new posts.