back to article Organofunctional silane Z-6011 gives iPhone 4 bad rap

A chemical compound we're willing to bet most Reg readers have never heard of may be responsible for one new-release niggle burning up the intertubes about Apple's new iPhone 4: screen discoloration. As we reported earlier today, some otherwise-happy new owners of new iPhones are newly disturbed by the new revelation that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Leeroy
    Flame

Not evaporated....

.. then you may want to keep it away from naked flames and sources of heat.

From the material safety sheet.

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

The principal hazards of the product as supplied are:

Harmful if swallowed.

Causes burns.

Vapours may form explosive mixtures with air.

Odour: Fishy

1. Hardcastle
      Paris Hilton

Not just Z-6011

2. Andy 27
    Jobs Horns

So that's why I have been noticing a weird fishy smell coming from Jesus phone users, and I though they had forgotten to shower since buying the eyephone!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg snarkiness aside, it seems to be a Foxconn foulup

in that they're putting the things together and shoving them out of the door so quickly that they're being boxed up before this glue's had a chance to dry. It's worth noting that nobody saw the problem on pre-release review units.

1. Jerome 0
      Jobs Halo

Foxconn's fault...

And I'm certain there was no pressure from high up in Apple to meet the promised release date at any cost.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some truth to this

A colleague of mine picked up an iPhone 4 yesterday morning, and when she activated it in the afternoon she had some discolouration. This morning, when she showed it to me it was virtually impossible to see, so it does appear to be fading.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like