back to article Google to relieve AdSense webpage drag

Google has admitted that its AdSense text ads can account for 12 per cent of a webpage's load time, but the company is testing a revamped script designed to minimize the amount of time Google ads spend blocking pages. Speaking this morning at the internet-infrastructure obsessed Velocity conference in Santa Clara, California, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

40k?

I'll admit that I know nothing about adsense specifically but why the hell does it need to be 40k? Surely it's just a matter of: send token to Google, get back response, parse response into DOM and insert?

You can do that in a much smaller amount of code - the server should be doing all the work after all. Much like Opera Mini - the part the user has is just a front end to the server's response.

I've written Twitter stuff which does just that. Doesn't tie up the page at all.

1. Eddie Johnson
      Flame

You Forgot One Thing AC..

That 40K has a lot of work to accomplish. Your forgetting the portion of the code that goes:

[flowchart]

How much information can I discover?

Record history and upload

Record preferences and upload

Attempt to delete opt-out cookies

Attempt to change home page

Attempt to change search provider

Attempt to create desktop shortcut

[/flowchart]

All that has to happen every time a gAd is loaded.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Happy

Astonishing..

..that people still let their browsers be used to carry advertising.

1. Ragarath
      Grenade

And in other news

It is also astonishing that people like you think that if everyone used some form of ad blocking the whole web would still exist, only the bigger players would remain.

That's the way I see it anyhow.

1. Jerome 0

And in other news

Well, that's the wonderful thing about it, isn't it? All the people who don't mind the advertising, or don't even know it's possible to get rid of it, turn out to be enough to subsidise the rest of us inconsiderate bastards. That's fine by me.

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Flame

@Ragarath

My Computer, my bandwidth, and my money that pays for both. If anybody else wants to use either they can either pay me to use them otherwise they can just fuck off.

3. Skrrp
    Thumb Up

</title>

Excellent.

Now my NoScript will just prevent them from loading, speeding up my web even more.

Thanks Google.

4. OffBeatMammal

looks like it's already running...

... on some blogspot sites

I've noticed in the last couple of days that some ads seem to get iframe scroll bars ... obviously not quite right yet

5. ThisIsOli

Quick Question

If this does come in to play (Which seems certain) will the iFrame area create a 'box' even if an adblocker blocks the adsense script?

I only ask because when using some ad blockers the layout of my website (Created with worpress widgets) becomes skewed when the Google advertisement is removed.

This topic is closed for new posts.